How can I get Trados to handle "centimetres" as synonymous to "cm" - i.e. as an identical measurement?

When Trados recognises a measurement, the whole thing is underlined blue, like this:

Screenshot of Trados Studio segment with '6 cm' underlined in blue indicating recognized measurement.

Now I have copywriters using "centimetres" instead, but I want to translate into "cm":

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing a segment with '124 to 172 centimetres' with '124' and '172' underlined in blue, and a warning for '149 cm' in the target segment.

The issue here is that "124" is correctly recognized as a number and treated as a placeable, but "172 centimetres" is not. "172" is treated as a number, and because "149 cm" in the translation is recognized as a measurement, I get an error message and the measurement is not automatically adjusted to "172 cm" in the target.

How can I achieve that "172 centimetres" is recognized as measurement AND that "172 cm" is accepted as valid translation? I did add "centimetre(s)" to the TM translation resources as under "units", updated, reindexed... Nothing doing. I might be missing something very simple...

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 1:34 PM (GMT 1) on 3 Jul 2024]
emoji
  •   

How can I achieve that "172 centimetres" is recognized as measurement

I don’t kow why you don’t get this first part:

animated gif with centimetres added as a new measurement

I just added "centimetres" as measurement in the Source language (en-US), upgrade that TM, and that’s was it. I had only 1 TM, if there are more TMs, I guess this need to be done to the top TM: As you can see, "XX centimetres" is recognized in Source.

AND that "172 cm" is accepted as valid translation?

It’s a kind of correspondance between "centimetres" in Source and "cm" in Target. My guess is that’s not possible. Actually in this link https://docs.rws.com/980998/775640/trados-studio-2022/measurements you can read: This ensures that Trados Studio can create a 1:1 correspondence between the non-translatable items in the source and target documents and will not trigger QA Checker errors and TM penalties. 

For example, I get this behaviour if I add "Zentimeter" as a German measurement (and upgrading the TM afterwards):

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing a partial translation match at 75% for the phrase 'from:10 to:175 centimetres' translated to 'von:10 bis:175Zentimeter' in German.

But if I add "centimetres" as a German measurement, I get the expected result:

Screenshot of Trados Studio displaying a full translation match at 100% for the phrase 'from:11 to:176 centimetres' translated to 'von:11 bis:176 centimetres' in German.

That makes me think that a measurement such as "centimetres" expects "centimetres" in German as well (the 1:1 relationship mentioned above). In the real world that’s only feasible with symbols, such as "cm", "mm" or "kHz" which are the same for all languages.

So I believe that what you are trying to get (centimetres > cm) is not possible…

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 5:51 AM (GMT 1) on 4 Jul 2024]