New/modified segments in a TM

Dear Community!

After a 12-year-long close relationship with Trados I cannot figure out HOW segments are added/replaced/modified:

Quiestion 1:

If I have a fuzzy match which is automatically added to my target segment box, I modify it and save in the TM, will it have the Created by (me) status or Modified by (me) status??

If I modify a CM, will the original one still remain in the memory and a new one added, showing it was created/modified by me? Or will the modified original segment be saved with changes showing Created by X and Modified by me?

Question 2:

What happens with massive imports from external agencies? After importing the project returned by the agency, I see that many segments show my name and the day they were imported, not the other users´ names and real dates.

Can I somehow change the configuration to Always overwrite or Never overwrite, for example? Or to Never replace the original translator name to the user of the PC where import is performed?

Maybe there is a detailed article on that! Would really appreciate your help!

Best regards!

emoji
Parents
  •  

If I have a fuzzy match which is automatically added to my target segment box, I modify it and save in the TM, will it have the Created by (me) status or Modified by (me) status??

Because its an unconfirmed fuzzy match, it will have modified by you status

If I modify a CM, will the original one still remain in the memory and a new one added, showing it was created/modified by me? Or will the modified original segment be saved with changes showing Created by X and Modified by me?

Because CM matches are confirmed, if you modify it your modifications will replace the original entry 

What happens with massive imports from external agencies? After importing the project returned by the agency, I see that many segments show my name and the day they were imported, not the other users´ names and real dates.

Correct, but regardless if you update TM via Batch Task update TM or via the TM Maintenance view where you perform a "direct" import there is this option that you may want to enable as it ensures the TU meta data is imported in (AKA translator) and not the user performing the import.

Screenshot of Trados Studio's Batch Processing settings with Translation Memory Updates section visible. An option 'Use information from bilingual file to update TU system fields' is highlighted.

Can I somehow change the configuration to Always overwrite or Never overwrite, for example? Or to Never replace the original translator name to the user of the PC where import is performed?

See screen print above that also shows how the import is to be managed. Meaning overwrite existing translation Slight smile

Hope this helps

Lyds

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 7:46 PM (GMT 1) on 8 Jul 2024]
  • Dear Lydia, 

thanks for you quick reply!

So just to confirm it once and for all:

1. My target segment is filled with a fuzzy match. I adapt it, confirm and the segment is: Created by (fuzzy match translator) and Modified by me.

2. If I have translated a segment , then another user of this shared TM at some point receives it as a CM/100%, modifies it and confirms, then MY translation is lost, right? What if I disagree with that correction? (a local copy of a TM is the only solution, I guess).

3. As for the massive imports: 

-if I perform them through the batch function, what result do I exactly get from MERGING, which is a recommended option (I have never gotten to fully understand it)

-if I decide to Add the externally translated segments leaving the "use information from bilingual file..." checked, will the program take my ID or the IDs of real translators? 

-if I decide to Overwrite, the same question, will the existing full matches (if any) overwritten with my ID or with the ID of external translators?

-if I prepare a Project to externalize and after pretranslation I need only 50% of text, what will happen when I get this project back, finished? Cause when I unpack, the program fills MY TM automatically? So which ID is assigned in this particular case?

-if an agency returns a TM with translations or a project TM and I Import it from the TM tab? What happens with segment IDs in this case? 

I really need to have a clear understanding of how it works, cause we apply filters to our TMs while working, to refine the results we receive. So all these segment attributes are important to us... for setting the filters properly...

Thank you in advance, Lydia!

emoji
  •  

To answer this: 

What if I disagree with that correction? (a local copy of a TM is the only solution, I guess).

This is why many users opt to work with Project TM's. Only once the final translation has been reviewed and approved with the translations from the SDLXLIFF then be updated into Main TM.

Another approach could be as you mentioned 

we apply filters to our TMs while working, to refine the results we receive.

This way you would perhaps be able to differentiate between results  - but my view would be Project TM's would be easier

With regards to the rest of your clarifications, I think you best review the documentation that outlines the features 

Lyds

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Dear Lydia, 

could you, please, provide a link to that documentation so that i could study it?

Thanks in advance!

emoji
Reply Children
No Data