Suspect Import Bilingual Excel is broken

So it used to be the case that in order to import a bilingual Excel file (with source in column A and target in column B) you went into

File > Options:

Move Bilingual Excel above Microsoft Excel

Under Common: Source Column A B; First line is heading; Confirm existing translations

Boom.

Tried that today and it put both column A and B into the same column. Went back to check and realized it had automatically moved Bilingual Excel format BELOW the other two types of Excel again. Since I don't use Excel in Trados other than importing, I simply unticked them and, belt and braces cause it's Trados, moved Bilingual Excel above the unticked other two Excel Types. Same result, Trados imports everything as Source.

Checked the Preview File function in the Options menu, which showed a correct preview:

Screenshot of a bilingual Excel file with source text in column A and translated text in column B, showing a preview with text in two separate columns.

Did some googling and saw this thread, thought 'mad, but <sigh>...' and in the Translate Single Document dialog went to Advanced > File Types etc to check the settings were there and yes they were, but still Trados puts both columns into the Source fields:

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface with a document open, displaying source and target columns incorrectly merged into one column labeled 'Siota1'.

It's just a plain text Excel xlsx file, nothing funky, just text in two columns:

Screenshot of an Excel spreadsheet with two columns, where the source and target texts are merged into a single cell in column A, indicating an import issue.

I suspect something is broken.

change string > thread
[edited by: Michael Bauer at 11:30 AM (GMT 1) on 11 Jul 2024]
emoji
Parents Reply Children
No Data