Allow overlapping terms in termbase seems not to be working for English Arabic termbases

Dear Colleagues,
I do not seem to understand what is meant by this option. I enable and disable it and I do not seem to detect any difference at all in the results the termbase shows. Can you please give me a clear example of terms I add to the termbase to check the difference between both options? I know for sure that something is wrong with using that option in English Arabic termbases, but I just want more insights from you so that I can test this further.

Thanks a million.

Sameh Ragab

emoji
Parents
  • Hello Sameh Ragab,

The "Allow overlapping terms" option in Trados Studio's termbase settings is designed to handle situations where you have terms in your termbase that are part of other terms.

For example, let's say you have the terms "car" and "car door" in your English-Arabic termbase. If you have "Allow overlapping terms" enabled, and you translate a sentence that includes the phrase "car door", Trados Studio will recognize both "car" and "car door" as separate terms from your termbase.

If you disable "Allow overlapping terms", Trados Studio will only recognize "car door" as a term in that sentence, because it's the longer term that includes the other term ("car").

To test this, you can add terms to your termbase that include other terms (like "car" and "car door" in the example above), then translate sentences that include those terms and see how Trados Studio recognizes them with the "Allow overlapping terms" option enabled and disabled.

If you're not seeing any difference when you enable or disable this option, it could be because your termbase doesn't have any overlapping terms, or because there's an issue with how Trados Studio is recognizing terms from your termbase.

I hope this helps clarify the function of the "Allow overlapping terms" option. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • Hello Sameh Ragab,

The "Allow overlapping terms" option in Trados Studio's termbase settings is designed to handle situations where you have terms in your termbase that are part of other terms.

For example, let's say you have the terms "car" and "car door" in your English-Arabic termbase. If you have "Allow overlapping terms" enabled, and you translate a sentence that includes the phrase "car door", Trados Studio will recognize both "car" and "car door" as separate terms from your termbase.

If you disable "Allow overlapping terms", Trados Studio will only recognize "car door" as a term in that sentence, because it's the longer term that includes the other term ("car").

To test this, you can add terms to your termbase that include other terms (like "car" and "car door" in the example above), then translate sentences that include those terms and see how Trados Studio recognizes them with the "Allow overlapping terms" option enabled and disabled.

If you're not seeing any difference when you enable or disable this option, it could be because your termbase doesn't have any overlapping terms, or because there's an issue with how Trados Studio is recognizing terms from your termbase.

I hope this helps clarify the function of the "Allow overlapping terms" option. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
Children