Studio 2024 sometimes crashes in revision mode

I've had a few crashes working in revision mode in Studio 2024. 

I'm not certain of the behaviour that causes this, but the last time I think it happened when I confirmed and moved to next unconfirmed segment (Alt+Enter) and pasted (Ctrl+V) something too fast into the new segment. 
Studio closed, leaving the error message window showing: "New content cannot be inserted inside locked content".
NB, the active (and preceding) segment were NOT locked, although a couple of segments are locked further up in the same file.
I'm working with Tracked Changes on and No Markup.

<SDLErrorDetails time="14/07/2024 08:44:43">
  <ErrorMessage>New content cannot be inserted inside locked content.</ErrorMessage>
  <Exception>
    <Type>Sdl.DesktopEditor.EditorApi.EditException, Sdl.DesktopEditor.EditorApi, Version=18.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888</Type>
    <HelpLink />
    <Source>Sdl.DesktopEditor.Control</Source>
    <HResult>-2146233088</HResult>
    <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at AbstractFrameworkDocument.Replace(IDocumentFragment newContent)
   at AbstractFrameworkEditControl.ReplaceSelection(IDocumentFragment newContent)
   at AbstractFrameworkEditControl.PasteClipboardToDocument()
   at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.SideBySideDocumentEditingView.Paste()
   at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.ActionHandlers.PasteActionHandler.Execute()
   at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.CommandBars.RetargetableAction.Execute()
   at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.SimpleActionExecuter.Execute(ActionData actionData)
   at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.ResourceLoggingInternalCommandExecuter`1.ExecuteWithResourceLogging(TCommandData commandData, String message)
   at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteAction(IAction action, ActionOrigin origin, Boolean allowToggle)
   at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteActionForShortcut(Keys shortcut)
   at Sdl.Platform.UI.StudioWindowForm.OnPreviewKeyDown(Keys keys)
   at Sdl.Platform.UI.GlobalKeysMessageFilter.PreFilterMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.ProcessFilters(MSG& msg, Boolean& modified)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FPreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Application.Launcher.RunApplication()]]></StackTrace>
  </Exception>
  <Environment>
    <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
    <ProductVersion>Studio18</ProductVersion>
    <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>18.0.0.1013</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
    <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Pro</OperatingSystem>
    <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
    <OperatingSystemLanguage>2057</OperatingSystemLanguage>
    <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
    <LoggedOnUser>EMGJ-DESKTOP\Emma Goldsmith</LoggedOnUser>
    <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
    <ComputerName>EMGJ-DESKTOP</ComputerName>
    <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
    <PhysicalMemory>25098716 MB</PhysicalMemory>
  </Environment>
</SDLErrorDetails>

emoji
Parents
  • Here's another error, which didn't make Studio crash, but it also refers to non-existent locked content, so sounds similar:
    In the screenshot, I wanted to transfer the tag pair 22474 to the target segment. 

To transfer the tag pair, I selected the target content, then hovered my mouse in the source segment between the tag pair, and then clicked Ctrl+left mouse click. 
    The error popped up (see screenshot and stack trace).
    Screenshot of Trados Studio with an error dialog box stating 'New content cannot be inserted inside locked content.' The source segment shows tag pairs and the target segment is partially translated.

<SDLErrorDetails time="14/07/2024 12:28:00">
      <ErrorMessage>New content cannot be inserted inside locked content.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>Sdl.DesktopEditor.EditorApi.EditException, Sdl.DesktopEditor.EditorApi, Version=18.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at AbstractFrameworkDocument.Replace(IDocumentFragment newContent)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TagFormatSelectionControl.ApplyFormattingToTarget(ITagPair tagPair)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TagFormatSelectionControl.ApplyFormattingToTarget(IAbstractMarkupData markupData)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.SideBySideDocumentEditingView.SourceEditControl_MouseClick(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseClick(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

I can continue working, but I can't add the tag pair to that string (Ctrl +comma shows the tag pairs, highlights them in the source segment, but I can only insert them AFTER the string, not around it.)

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 10:56 AM (GMT 1) on 14 Jul 2024]
  • Here's another error, which didn't make Studio crash, but it also refers to non-existent locked content, so sounds similar:
    In the screenshot, I wanted to transfer the tag pair 22474 to the target segment. 

To transfer the tag pair, I selected the target content, then hovered my mouse in the source segment between the tag pair, and then clicked Ctrl+left mouse click. 
    The error popped up (see screenshot and stack trace).
    Screenshot of Trados Studio with an error dialog box stating 'New content cannot be inserted inside locked content.' The source segment shows tag pairs and the target segment is partially translated.

<SDLErrorDetails time="14/07/2024 12:28:00">
      <Exception>
        <HelpLink />
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TagFormatSelectionControl.ApplyFormattingToTarget(ITagPair tagPair)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TagFormatSelectionControl.ApplyFormattingToTarget(IAbstractMarkupData markupData)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.SideBySideDocumentEditingView.SourceEditControl_MouseClick(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseClick(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

I can continue working, but I can't add the tag pair to that string (Ctrl +comma shows the tag pairs, highlights them in the source segment, but I can only insert them AFTER the string, not around it.)

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 10:56 AM (GMT 1) on 14 Jul 2024]
Children
  •  

Hi Emma,

I am finding that Studio 2024 crashes a little more readily in Review mode than Studio 2022. I work almost entirely in Review mode... I can't say that it happens after a specific sequence of steps. My impression is that it crashes if I do any sequence of stuff too quickly.

My most frequent error messages is the 'object reference...' one but that doesn't trigger a crash if I just close the error without attempting to make another move.

I would expect a first launch version to be a little buggy still but I am finding that this launch version is more unstable than the final beta...

I think I read that  found the same thing - am I remembering correctly, Angelo?

I'm sure the first  update will smooth things out a bit...

All the best,

Ali Smiley

emoji
  •  I tried to reproduce but could not.

I am wondering if its method related or the context of the tags.

Method related:
    Your way of adding the tags was pretty specific.
    What if you use Ctrl, or another method of inserting tags. 

Context:
    Your screen print shows multiple tag placement. What happens if you apply your insert tag preferred method but against different type of tags.
    Example, placeholder tags or single tag pair.

I tried single file as well as merged but that did not make a difference to me. 

Grateful for any further clarification you can offer

Lyds 

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  •   

Re. tag transfer method: As mentioned below my screenshot, the tag method doesn't appear to be the problem as I have the same behaviour when I use Ctrl+comma.

Re. context: this particular error message is triggered when I select the WHOLE target segment (as seen in screenshot). If I insert any tab pair or placeholder in a specific place in the target segment or select ONLY one or two words to apply the tag pair to, then no error message appears.

emoji
  • Here's a new crash report, also in Review mode. I'd added a soft line break in the segment and then pressed Ctrl+Z.
    Studio disappeared, leaving the error message, "Index was outside the bounds of the array".

<SDLErrorDetails time="09/08/2024 08:42:29">
      <ErrorMessage>Index was outside the bounds of the array.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.IndexOutOfRangeException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor</Source>
        <HResult>-2146233080</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.IntellisenseOperationVisitor.VisitChangeTextOperation(IChangeTextOperation operation)
       at Sdl.DesktopEditor.EditorApi.Implementation.ChangeTextOperation.AcceptVisitor(IEditOperationVisitor visitor)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.IntellisenseEditing.ProcessDocumentContentChanged(List`1 operations, Boolean afterImeCompositionUpdate)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Intellisense.IntellisenseEditing.Document_ContentChanged(Object sender, FrameworkDocumentContentChangedEventArgs e)
       at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
       at AbstractFrameworkDocument.raise_ContentChanged(Object value0, FrameworkDocumentContentChangedEventArgs value1)
       at AbstractFrameworkDocument.OnContentChanged(Object sender, FrameworkDocumentContentChangedEventArgs args)
       at FrameworkDocumentEventSource.RaiseContentChanged(FrameworkDocumentEventSource* )
       at FrameworkDocumentEventSource.vv_AfterUndo(FrameworkDocumentEventSource* )
       at Tree.Commander.v_Undo(Commander* )
       at CollectiveCommander.ExecuteUndo(IUndoCommand command)
       at CollectiveCommander.ExecuteUndo(IUndoCommand command)
       at CollectiveCommander.Undo()
       at CollectiveCommander.UndoMultiple(Int32 count)
       at FrameworkUndoBuffer.UndoMultiple(Int64 count)
       at AbstractFrameworkEditControl.UndoMultiple(Int64 count)
       at SideBySideEditor.UndoMultiple(Int64 count)
       at SideBySideEditor.Undo()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.UndoBufferActionHandler.Execute()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.CommandBars.RetargetableAction.Execute()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.SimpleActionExecuter.Execute(ActionData actionData)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.ResourceLoggingInternalCommandExecuter`1.ExecuteWithResourceLogging(TCommandData commandData, String message)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteAction(IAction action, ActionOrigin origin, Boolean allowToggle)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteActionForShortcut(Keys shortcut)
       at Sdl.Platform.UI.StudioWindowForm.OnPreviewKeyDown(Keys keys)
       at Sdl.Platform.UI.GlobalKeysMessageFilter.PreFilterMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.ProcessFilters(MSG& msg, Boolean& modified)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FPreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Application.Launcher.RunApplication()]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

emoji
  • Hi   and , sorry for replying so late, but I do not get mails anymore from this forum (I checked my settings here, and they are ok).

I am working with support as my Studio 2024 crashes very often (more than in the beta phase). Especially, but not only, when OpenAI Provider is enabled (even if it is not set in the project I am opening). Until this moment Support could not hlep me so far. And since OpenAI Provider is a plugin (even if it installed by default with studio), support told me to write a post in the AppStore support community, but my post has been ignored so far... It is very frustrating because almost every second file I open I get a crash from Studio.

All the best,

Angelo

emoji
  •    

Ciao Angelo,

For quite some time now, I also am not receiving email notifications from any forum despite my notification settings being as they should be.  is this a known issue? I also find I'm not recognised and have to sign in again when I navigate to the Community.

All the best,

Ali Smiley

emoji
  •  

I also don't get email messages anymore although my settings say I should...

emoji
  •     

I also am not receiving email notifications from any forum despite my notification settings being as they should be.  is this a known issue?

I'd say it's an unusual issue that doesn't affect everyone, but it certainly impacts a considerable number of users, myself included at times. We've been trying to troubleshoot the problem and have established that the community itself is indeed sending notifications to all known users. However, we rely on our RWS email backend to actually dispatch these notifications, so we're currently investigating with our IT department to see if any changes have occurred there.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Thanks  

It's not a huge problem to me personally, except that if I'm helping someone and forget to check my unread notifications on the Community, it means that they have to wait a longer for me to reply to them.

I know it's happened before, but I can't remember how the issue was resolved.

Ah well, it's not a big deal.

Thanks,

Ali Smiley

emoji