No SDLXLIFF Converter app for Studio 2024. How can I export arbitrarily selected segments to a Microsoft Word table?

I just upgraded 2 licences to Studio 2024 and just found out that SDLXLIFF converter is not available for download for Studio 2024! The horror message greeted me:

This is no longer being maintained. It's worth noting that Trados Studio has an Export for External Review feature as part of the product which provides the same functionality as this application. 

Just to be clear External Review DOES NOT OFFER THE SAME FUNCTIONALITY.

Screenshot of Trados Studio's Segment Exclusion settings with options to exclude segment categories and statuses. Categories include ContextPerfect matches, Exact matches, Fuzzy matches, and No matches. Statuses include Signed Off, Translation Approved, Draft, Sign-off Rejected, Translation Rejected, Translated, and Not Translated.

This little app has key functionality of Segment exclusion. By setting segment status you can control which segments get exported.

How can I do that in Studio 2024?

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 7:26 AM (GMT 1) on 23 Jul 2024]
emoji
Parents
  •  

Obviously you're correct.  I think your best bet is to create an idea to add this capability to the out of the box functionality because the developer who created this is unlikely to update it any more.

Trados Studio Ideas 

I couldn't see an existing idea for this so it may not be well supported but you won't know unless you ask.

In 2024 you can solve your problem but with a workaround.  If you install the studioViews app you can filter on whatever you like and then export to sdlxliff.  Add that file to your project and export that for external review.  Once you get the review back you update the sdllxliff and then either update the project using studioViews again or just from your TM.  A bit of a palava you probably won't like, but doable.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Hi Paul, yes I am aware of that solution. And there's also another one. You can use SDLXLIFF toolkit to filter out the segments into a new sdlxliff, use that to export for bilingual review.

Also 2024 is terribly buggy, borderline unusable. It can't even pre-translate without throwing our favourite "instance of an object" error! I don't even have time to post all these bugs. I am so lucky I did not return the license and uninstall the previous version and I have both so I can fall back to something that actually works.

Trados Studio batch processing window with 'Finish' message and 'Pre-translate Files 1 messages reported' highlighted in red indicating an error. Task Results window in Trados Studio showing 'Pre-translate Files' task with status 'Failed' and an error message 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'

Error dialog box in Trados Studio with a detailed exception message 'Exception of type LanguagePlatformException occurred: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' and a stack trace.

The funny thing is a project created by 2024. When I go back to load it in 2022, everything works fine!

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 3:00 PM (GMT 1) on 23 Jul 2024]
  •  

And there's also another one. You can use SDLXLIFF toolkit to filter out the segments into a new sdlxliff, use that to export for bilingual review.

I wouldn't use that one.  It's not as reliable or as flexible as studioViews.  My team developed them both.

It can't even pre-translate without throwing our favourite "instance of an object" error!

If you do find time just create a post and include the error stack so we gave something to go on.

Error dialog box with a red cross icon, displaying 'Exception of type LanguagePlatformException occurred: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' with a stack trace snippet.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 9:48 AM (GMT 1) on 24 Jul 2024]
  • This has already popped up as a separate thread by other users.

emoji
  •  

This has already popped up as a separate thread by other users.

If you mean the "instance of an object" error then you would be mistaken.  Not that it hasn't popped up but that it is exactly the same one. The error message "object reference not set to an instance of an object" is a common issue in computer programs and could relate to any one of thousands of possible reasons.  To explain this in simple terms, let's use an analogy:

Imagine you're in a library and you want to read a book.  You tell the librarian, "Give me the book called 'Programming for Beginners'." The librarian knows what you're talking about and gives you the book.  Now, you have the book and can read it.

However, if you just say, "Give me a book," without specifying which one, the librarian doesn't know what book you want.  If you try to start reading without having the book in your hands, you'll be confused and won't be able to read anything.

In the computer world, an "object" is like the book you want to read.  When a program tries to use an object, it needs to have a specific instance of that object, like having a particular book in your hands.  The error message "object reference not set to an instance of an object" means the program tried to use an object, but it wasn't given a specific one to work with.  It's like trying to read an invisible book – you can't do anything with it because it doesn't actually exist.

In summary, this error happens when a program is told to use something that hasn't been properly set up or defined, leading to confusion and the program stopping or not working correctly.  The error stack I asked for contains the detail about which book the program was trying to read.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • Thank you for the clarification. Actually, I do understand the concept of libraries being used for various purposes and that seemingly the same error may occur in completely different circumstances and only a more detailed data "dump" may provide more evidence for real reason.

Unfortunately I do not have the error stack for this specific occurrence. Please note this happened more than once prompting me to abandon 2024 and go back to 2022 for the time being.

I will, however, save the error stack at the earliest opportunity and update this thread.

emoji
Reply Children
No Data