Open AI Terminology-aware Translation Suggestions not working in Trados 2024

I have activated the Terminology-aware Translation Suggestions feature for the OpenAI plugin with Trados 2024 but unfortunately, the AI is ignoring my termbase entries.

Is this a known issue? I work from Chinese, so not sure if it has anything to do with having an Asian source language.

emoji
  •  

It depends on how you use it, but there is a bug that we need to address.  For example, take this screenshot (and apologies for any stupid translations here... quite tricky for me to work with Chinese):

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface showing untranslated terms in the main translation segment window, with a highlighted term 'Odonates' correctly translated in the AI Assistant pane on the right.

You can see that the terms have not been replaced in the segments while working interactively, and they won't work using a batch task to translate either.  But they do work in the AI Assistant on the right and it's visually quite neat.

It's quite a tricky technical problem because of some things we need to see changed in the way Studio works so that we can properly take advantage of this with the API for plugins and we have asked for this change already.  So hopefully it'll be working correctly in the near future.  For now, you can only effectively see this working correctly when using the AI Assistant.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 10:06 AM (GMT 1) on 29 Jul 2024]
  • Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our development team will review it in the context of our ongoing projects and priorities. Your understanding and patience as we assess this matter is appreciated. We have recorded the issue in our tracking system under the reference number CRQ-39127
    emoji
  •  Thanks, it does work correctly when using the AI assistant. I will wait for a fix for the new API. Do new releases get tested with CJK languages before they are launched? This is not the first time something like this has happened–the most recent update to Studio 2022 broke terminology recognition for Chinese which was only fixed with 2024. I’m surprised that this was not picked up before release, especially given how many people work from character-based East Asian languages.

emoji
  •   

Do new releases get tested with CJK languages before they are launched?

Yes.  But this isn't the problem here.  Working with the APIs for some of the things we try to bend the software to achieve requires a degree of knowledge and skill that only a few developers are able to provide.  Unless you are a developer I know this is hard to comprehend.

the most recent update to Studio 2022 broke terminology recognition for Chinese which was only fixed with 2024. I’m surprised that this was not picked up before release, especially given how many people work from character-based East Asian languages.

And also considering the hundreds of people who asked to be Beta testers, and we ran a much longer than normal Beta.  But despite us doing our own testing and having such a large Beta community the feedback actually only came from a handful of users... the regular ones who always provide feedback.  It's no excuse of course and we do try to keep up with the testing but this can be challenging when you think about how much we have to test and then reproduce in multiple language combinations and operating system languages... and repeat from the start when we make new Beta builds.

Despite best endeavours things can get missed... even things that seem so obvious!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji