Why do batch tasks hotkeys change from one project to another?

Hello,

I use Studio 2022 Pro.

I have noticed that batch tasks hotkeys change depending on the project selected. See:

Screenshot of Trados Studio 2022 Pro showing the batch tasks menu with various tasks listed, such as 'Pre-translate Files' and 'Verify Files'.              Another screenshot of Trados Studio 2022 Pro with the batch tasks menu, similar to the first image, indicating a consistent interface.

This happens in the Project view. If I go into File view, they do change again...

I understand that different projects may have different tasks available, but why do hotkeys need to change? What is the point of hotkeys if they are inconsistent from one project to another?

Is there a way of making hotkeys static and not dynamic?

Also, just for general info, I tried 2024 Pro, extremely buggy, a real disaster... really well spent 1k€. Since I installed and unistalled 2024, custom batch tasks do not work well in 2022 (I never got to make them work in 2024). Even if they do exist, they are not shown in the batch task menu anymore.

Thans in advancefor any help.

Cheers,

Antonio

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 9:35 AM (GMT 1) on 25 Jul 2024]
emoji
Parents
  •   

That's the first time I have even seen anyone analyse these hotkeys!!

So, I took a look and can conclude this based on my tests in 2024:

Task Hotkey
    Finalize F
    Analyse Files A
    Apply Language Weaver Metadata P
    Apply PerfectMatch L
    Copy to Target Languages C (Only in the Projects View for Projects using Monolingual Source files)
    Create QE Report C1
    Export Files X
    Export for Bilingual Review E
    Generate target files (cloud projects) G (greyed)
    Generate Target Translations T
    GroupShare Analyse and Translate N (greyed)
    Populate Project Translation Memories R
    Pre-translate Files O
    Pre-translate Files with OpenAI provider for Trados S
    Pseudo-translate U1
    Translation Count I
    Translation Quality Assessment Q
    Update from Bilingual Review M
    Update from Reviewed Target File (Retrofit) D
    Update Main Translation Memories U2
    Update Project Translation Memories J
    Verify Files V
    WIP Report W1
    Word Count W2
    Custom C2
    Everything was consistent between the Projects View, Files View and Editor View with the exception of Copy to Target Languages which was only available if my project contains monolingual source files.  This kind of makes sense because bilingual files have already got a target language defined so this task is useless for these files.
    Can you identify the type of projects and sources files in them?
    Other than that all the hotkeys are consistent for me.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  •  

I should add that I could not really read your screenshots as they are too small for my tired old eyes!  It would have been better if you just clarified where you noted the differences.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  • Thanks for your reply, Paul.

Sorry for the size of the screenshot, I scaled it too small. Here go usable versions.

I do use AutoHotkey a lot and I have found for me hotkeys are the best and simplest option for me to trigger actions on projects and files I receive from customers so far, that is why I look at them.

Screenshot of Trados Studio menu with tasks and batch processing options, including 'Export to Excel' and 'Pretraducir' with hotkeys displayed.     Second screenshot of Trados Studio menu, similar to the first, showing tasks for project management and processing with visible hotkeys.

The funny thing is that differences do start just after Export to Excel and then "Exportar archivos" has a different hotkey in the menus: H or O, even if it is present in both instances of it... In my case the real problem is is with "Pretraducir", which can be H or P2. 

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 3:36 PM (GMT 1) on 25 Jul 2024]
  •  

I see.  Looks like the use of plugins can change the shortcuts by pushing them along.  Something I never noticed before but I will ask the question.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
Reply Children
No Data