Trados 2022 does not recognize Track Changes In the Source File

Hi there,

I received a tracked changes Word file to translate. The client needs the target file with tacked changes too like the source. 

However, Trados does not recognize the track changes and does not show it neither in the source nor in the target on the Editor view. When I generated the target file it was not with tracked changes.

Is there way to let Studio recognize the tracked changes and generate a tracked changes target file.

I am using Windows 10, Microsoft 365 and using Trados Studio 2022.

Your urgent help is highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Noha Mostafa

emoji
Parents
  •  

This is not possible from within Studio. Studio can consider tracked changes as accepted and not display them, or it can display them to the translator as deleted words in the source, but the output file won't have them.

There is a way to achieve what you want, I think.

Make a copy of the source file and rename it somehow, like appending "_without_changes". Open it in Word and reject all changes, then translate it.

Translate the source file with all the tracked changes.

In Word, under the "Review" tab, select "Compare", and then the option "Compare". You will be asked to open an original file and then a changed file. Choose the "_without_changes" file as the original, then the one with the tracked changes as the revised document. At least for me, it produces a file with tracked changes in the target language. Nota bene that all tracked changes will be attributed to whoever did the "Compare" step, and will be dated and times to when the Compare happened.

Trados Studio interface showing a source file with the text 'This is a file with changes' and a target file with the text 'This is a file with tracked-changes.'

Word document comparison interface with 'Revisions' panel showing 'Daniel Hug Deleted nachverfolgten' and the compared document text 'Dies ist eine Datei mit nachverfolgten Aenderungen.'

Close-up of a Word document with a comment by 'Daniel Hug' stating '19082024 14:48:00 deleted: nachverfolgten' next to the text 'Dies ist eine Datei mit nachverfolgten Aenderungen.'

Hope this helps.

Daniel

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 1:58 PM (GMT 1) on 19 Aug 2024]
  •  

This is not possible from within Studio. Studio can consider tracked changes as accepted and not display them, or it can display them to the translator as deleted words in the source, but the output file won't have them.

There is a way to achieve what you want, I think.

Make a copy of the source file and rename it somehow, like appending "_without_changes". Open it in Word and reject all changes, then translate it.

Translate the source file with all the tracked changes.

In Word, under the "Review" tab, select "Compare", and then the option "Compare". You will be asked to open an original file and then a changed file. Choose the "_without_changes" file as the original, then the one with the tracked changes as the revised document. At least for me, it produces a file with tracked changes in the target language. Nota bene that all tracked changes will be attributed to whoever did the "Compare" step, and will be dated and times to when the Compare happened.

Trados Studio interface showing a source file with the text 'This is a file with changes' and a target file with the text 'This is a file with tracked-changes.'

Word document comparison interface with 'Revisions' panel showing 'Daniel Hug Deleted nachverfolgten' and the compared document text 'Dies ist eine Datei mit nachverfolgten Aenderungen.'

Close-up of a Word document with a comment by 'Daniel Hug' stating '19082024 14:48:00 deleted: nachverfolgten' next to the text 'Dies ist eine Datei mit nachverfolgten Aenderungen.'

Hope this helps.

Daniel

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 1:58 PM (GMT 1) on 19 Aug 2024]
Children
No Data