Can't erase the German-English Language Pair

I accidentally chose German as a language pair when all I use in Eng - Spa and vice versa. 

I've tried to delete from options and from the tranlation options dialogue itself but it just keeps showing me German and I waste sooo much time finding the English option whenever I want to translate. 

This is what I always, always see and it's such a hassle to change: 

Screenshot of Trados Studio translation memory and document setup with source language set to English (United States) and target language set to German (Germany).

This is what I did to change it and nothing.I went to the options in the left-hand side bar and removed it as you can see... but... 

Screenshot of Trados Studio options menu showing language combinations, with English (United States) to Spanish (Spain, International Sort) and vice versa, but no German listed.

It doesn't work. It still shows up as English to German and it's still in the language pairs option accesible from the document setup itself. 

So this time I removed it from the "advanced options" in the document setup itself but nothing. It still defaults to including German in the language pairs and therefore in the options prompt whenever I try to open a document to start a new translation. 

How can I get rid of the German language from my Trados forever? :) 

Screenshot of Trados Studio project template configuration showing language combinations including English (United States) to German (Germany) highlighted.

Edited for better explanation of the screenshots.
[edited by: Happy Lee Del Canto at 3:19 PM (GMT 1) on 19 Aug 2024]
emoji
  • Hello,

I understand that you're having trouble with an unwanted German-English language pair in Trados Studio. I'm here to help you resolve this issue. Here are the steps you need to follow:

Step 1: Open Trados Studio.

Step 2: Go to "File" in the top left corner.

Step 3: From the dropdown menu, select "Options".

Step 4: In the Options window, select "Editor" from the left-hand side menu.

Step 5: Under the Editor options, select "Languages".

Step 6: In the Languages settings, you can set your preferred default languages. Make sure to choose English-Spanish or Spanish-English as per your requirement.

Step 7: Click "OK" to save your changes.

Please note that this will set your preferred language pair as the default for new projects. However, for existing projects, you will need to manually change the language pair in the project settings.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  •  

Quite a good reply from the TradosAI, apart from the Project Settings part.  It is possible to change, or more accurately, add the language pair you want to an existing project, but then you'll also need to prepare the files again for that language pair, and you'll always be doing it as every project you create will still not have the languages you want!

So perhaps this article will help:https://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/12/18/tea-and-settings/

And also this video:

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • THANK YOU, PAUL!!!

The individual settings was what I got wrong. I was changing the language pairs for the projects, but I usually do only individual translations. Thank you! 

emoji