Help with updating files in existing Trados projects

I am currently working on an integration with Trados 2022 and have encountered a challenge when trying to implement continuous integration (update already created file within the project).

My goal is to update files within a project by replacing them with newer versions. However, I have not been successful in simply overwriting the files, as it appears that all the project data, including translation memory and project settings, is stored in the files initially generated by Trados. When I attempt to overwrite a file, the changes do not reflect as intended.

Additionally, efforts to regenerate the file have also failed.

Could anyone advise on the following:
- Is there a supported method to update files in an existing Trados project so that the changes are smoothly reflected?
- Are there any specific steps or tools within Trados that facilitate this process?
- Are there best practices or workflows recommended for updating files in ongoing projects without causing data inconsistencies or loss?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your assistance. :) 

emoji
  •  

I do not know what you did exactly, but there is a predefined workflow for this in Studio.

In an existing project, go to the "Files" view and switch the language to the source language.
    This will display the list of the source files you have in this project:

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface showing the 'Files' view with a list of files such as 'SamplePhotoPrinter.doc.sdlxliff' and 'SamplePresentation.pptx.sdlxliff'. The language is set to English (United States). Select the one

Select the one you want to replace, right-click and select "Update"*:
    Screenshot of a context menu in Trados Studio with the 'Update File' option highlighted, indicating the process to replace a source file in a project.

This will replace the existing source file in your project folder and also create a new bilingual file in the target language folder so that you can immediately switch the language back to your target language, double-click the file, and you are ready to work on the new file. 
    All your project settings such as TM, termbases, etc. are entirely preserved.
    Good luck!

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 3:50 PM (GMT 1) on 10 Sep 2024]