reduce SDLTM size

hi,

after deleting a half of segments from my SDLTM and deleting information about source file, the size of SDLTM file did not change

How  to reduce its size?

Shall I export all and create new and import the TMX or is there any another smoother way?

JV

emoji
Parents
  • Hi  

The physical size only reduces if you reindex or update the TM.
    The best way to thoroughly reorganize it is indeed exporting it to a TMX file, creating a new TM and importing the TMX file. 
    Don't forget to prepare the newly created TM for fragment matching after you created it (Right click - Settings - Fragment Alignment).

emoji

I always disliked exporting to TMX and re-importing because it's a lossy process – you lose most of your metadata.

But there is a new star in the heavens called TM Fusion for Trados. I did not yet have time to look at it properly, although this has been on my wish list for several months now.

For the sake of this thread, I created a SDLTM with about 15000 TUs, then deleted approx. 3000 TUs using an arbitrary filter (occurrence of “the” in the English source segments).

Here is the result:

Screenshot showing a file named 'Test size reduction.sdltm' with a timestamp of 11092024 08:54 and file size of 11,440 KB.

Screenshot with a callout saying 'After deleting approx 3000 TUs.' pointing to the same file with unchanged file size of 11,440 KB and a new timestamp of 11092024 08:57.

Screenshot with a callout saying 'After compacting database' in TM Fusion pointing to the file now with a reduced size of 4,248 KB and timestamp of 11092024 09:01.

“Compact database” tooltip:

Tooltip message reading 'Compact the database file, removing space wasted by deleted records.'

TM Fusion for Trados (https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/241) is still very unwieldy and tech-heavy. The developers state that “this release is being released as a Preview because we would like to have more user testing and feedback on this tool to establish its worth.” I think this is the answer to many needs often expressed in relation to TM maintenance, but at this point it still requires some expertise to operate. I love all the advanced stuff that I know are possible with this, although I don't have the skill to unleash them yet. Looking forward, this tool needs a "Basic" and an "Advanced" tab or view to offer a basic range of functionality to technically less skilled users in a non-intimidating way, and the full suite of tools for the expert user who will appreciate being able to maintain their SDLTMs in ways they could have only dreamt of before.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 8:19 AM (GMT 1) on 11 Sep 2024]

I always disliked exporting to TMX and re-importing because it's a lossy process – you lose most of your metadata.

But there is a new star in the heavens called TM Fusion for Trados. I did not yet have time to look at it properly, although this has been on my wish list for several months now.

For the sake of this thread, I created a SDLTM with about 15000 TUs, then deleted approx. 3000 TUs using an arbitrary filter (occurrence of “the” in the English source segments).

Here is the result:

Screenshot showing a file named 'Test size reduction.sdltm' with a timestamp of 11092024 08:54 and file size of 11,440 KB.

Screenshot with a callout saying 'After deleting approx 3000 TUs.' pointing to the same file with unchanged file size of 11,440 KB and a new timestamp of 11092024 08:57.

Screenshot with a callout saying 'After compacting database' in TM Fusion pointing to the file now with a reduced size of 4,248 KB and timestamp of 11092024 09:01.

“Compact database” tooltip:

Tooltip message reading 'Compact the database file, removing space wasted by deleted records.'

TM Fusion for Trados (https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/241) is still very unwieldy and tech-heavy. The developers state that “this release is being released as a Preview because we would like to have more user testing and feedback on this tool to establish its worth.” I think this is the answer to many needs often expressed in relation to TM maintenance, but at this point it still requires some expertise to operate. I love all the advanced stuff that I know are possible with this, although I don't have the skill to unleash them yet. Looking forward, this tool needs a "Basic" and an "Advanced" tab or view to offer a basic range of functionality to technically less skilled users in a non-intimidating way, and the full suite of tools for the expert user who will appreciate being able to maintain their SDLTMs in ways they could have only dreamt of before.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 8:19 AM (GMT 1) on 11 Sep 2024]
Children