Ranges in Trados Number Verifier

When translating from English to German, I translate “For ages 12–36 months” or “For ages 1–4” using “bis”:

“… von 12 bis 36 Monaten” or “…von 1 bis 4 Jahren”

How can I tell the Trados Number Verifier that this is okay?

Trados Number Verifier window showing a message for different values between source segment 'For ages 12-36 months' and target segment 'Fur Kinder von 12 bis 36 Monaten'. Source issues highlighted as '-36' and target issues as '36'.

Trados Studio segment view with source text 'For ages 12-36 months' and target text 'Fur Kinder von 12 bis 36 Monaten'. A green checkmark indicates a match, and a red exclamation mark indicates a potential issue.

If possible, I'd like to turn the whole "different values" detection off, but I can't see where this could be done.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 8:11 PM (GMT 1) on 19 Oct 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • "Probability score": 0.7

"Question improvement suggestion": Please provide the version of Trados Studio you are using and any error messages you might be receiving. Also, it would be helpful to know if you have made any recent changes to your settings.

In the meantime, based on the information you have provided, here is a suggested answer to your question:

Hello,

To adjust the settings of the Trados Number Verifier, you can follow these steps:

Step 1: Open Trados Studio and go to the "Project Settings" dialog box.

Step 2: In the navigation pane, select "Verification".

Step 3: Here, you will see options for QA Checker 3.0 and Terminology Verifier. You can deselect these if you wish to disable them.

Step 4: To specifically adjust the settings for number verification, look for the "Number Verification" option. Here, you can customize how Trados Studio verifies numbers in your translations.

As for turning off the "different values" detection, this might not be possible as it is a built-in feature of Trados Studio to ensure the accuracy of translations. However, you can adjust the sensitivity of the number verification to better suit your needs.

I hope this answer addressed your question. If not, please reject the answer, add the question improvement suggestion information, and click the RWS Community AI checkbox on the right to try again.

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • I am using Trados Studio 2024 CU1. I do not wish to disable the Number Verifier totally. I want to stop getting false positives (“different values”). In the best of all worlds, the Number Verifier would understand that the dash indicates a range, and that in German “bis” can indicate a range. Can I disable just the module in the Number Verifier that is responsible for the “different values” check?

emoji
Reply Children
  • "Probability score": 0.8

"Question improvement suggestion": Please provide any error messages you might be receiving. Also, it would be helpful to know if you have made any recent changes to your settings.

In the meantime, based on the information you have provided, here is a suggested answer to your question:

Hello,

Thank you for providing the version of Trados Studio you are using. Unfortunately, the "different values" check is a built-in feature of the Number Verifier in Trados Studio and cannot be disabled separately. This feature is designed to ensure the accuracy of translations, especially when dealing with numbers.

However, you can adjust the sensitivity of the number verification to better suit your needs. Here's how:

Step 3: Look for the "Number Verification" option. Here, you can customize how Trados Studio verifies numbers in your translations.

Step 4: Adjust the sensitivity of the number verification to a level that suits your needs. This might help in reducing the number of false positives you are experiencing.

Please note that while this might reduce the number of false positives, it might not completely eliminate them as the "different values" check is a core feature of the Number Verifier.

I hope this answer addressed your question. If not, please reject the answer, add the question improvement suggestion information, and click the RWS Community AI checkbox on the right to try again.

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • "Probability score": 0.9

"Question improvement suggestion": No improvement needed, your question is clear.

Hello,

Yes, the regex-based exclusion option could potentially help in this situation. Regular expressions (regex) can be used to define patterns of text, which in this case could be used to identify and exclude the ranges you're working with from the Number Verifier's checks.

Here's how you can set this up:

Step 3: Look for the "Number Verification" option.

Step 4: In the "Number Verification" settings, find the "Regular Expressions" section.

Step 5: Here, you can add a new regular expression that matches the pattern of the ranges you're translating. For example, you might use a regex like "\d+ bis \d+" to match any instance of one or more digits, followed by " bis ", followed by one or more digits.

Please note that while this should help reduce the number of false positives from the "different values" check, it may not completely eliminate them, as the Number Verifier is designed to be thorough in its checks to ensure the accuracy of translations.

RWS Community AI

emoji