How to avoid segmentation of two blocks of words between brackets

Hi!

I am using Studio 2022 SR2

I am working on a json file and I noticed that all segments with this format:

"(*Fig.*) (Schema di montaggio della rete RS)"

are always shown on two different segments

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface showing segments 1361 to 1364 with text split across segments. Segment 1361 contains '(*Fig.*)' and segment 1362 contains 'Schema di montaggio della rete RS'.

They belong to the same Key and I need them on the same line

Close-up of text in a Trados Studio file with a segment '(*Fig.*) (Schema di montaggio della rete RS)' split into two lines, indicating a segmentation issue.

To move to a paragraph segmentation is not an option since, in other cases, it makes sense it follows the normal segmentation rule (i.e. full stop)

Is there a way to tell the TM not to segment when 2 blocks of words are within brackets (if this is the actual reason)?

Thank you!

Rita

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 7:54 AM (GMT 1) on 25 Oct 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • "Probability score": 0.8

"Question improvement suggestion": Please provide more information about the specific settings you have in place for segmentation rules in Trados Studio. Also, it would be helpful if you could share any error messages you've encountered while trying to solve this issue.

In the meantime, based on the information you have provided, here is a suggested answer to your question:

Hello Rita,

It seems like you're dealing with a segmentation issue in Trados Studio 2022 SR2. The software is likely treating the brackets as separate segments due to the current segmentation rules.

Here's a step-by-step guide on how you can modify the segmentation rules:

Step 1: Open Trados Studio and go to the "File" menu.

Step 2: Click on "Options" and then select "Language Pairs".

Step 3: Choose "All Language Pairs" or the specific language pair you're working with.

Step 4: Click on "Common" and then "Segmentation Rules".

Step 5: In the "Before break" and "After break" fields, you can modify the rules to avoid segmentation between brackets. You might need to use regular expressions to achieve this. For example, you could add a rule that ignores a period (.) if it's followed by a closing bracket ()), which might solve your issue.

Please note that modifying segmentation rules can affect the entire project, so it's recommended to test these changes on a small portion of your text first to ensure they produce the desired results.

I hope this answer addressed your question. If not, please reject the answer, add the question improvement suggestion information, and click the RWS Community AI checkbox on the right to try again.

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • "Probability score": 0.7

"Question improvement suggestion": Please provide more specific details about the issue you're encountering. Are there any error messages appearing when you try to find the "Segmentation Rules" option? Also, it would be helpful if you could share a screenshot of what you see in your settings.

In the meantime, based on the information you have provided, here is a suggested answer to your question:

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble finding the "Segmentation Rules" option in Trados Studio 2022 SR2. Here's an alternative way to access it:

Step 1: Open your Translation Memory (TM) in Trados Studio's "Translation Memories" view.

Step 2: Right-click on the TM and select "Settings".

Step 3: Go to "Language Resources", select "Segmentation Rules" and click on "Edit".

Step 4: Select the "Full stop" rule and click on "Edit".

Step 5: Click on the "Add" button to add an exception.

Step 6: Set a name for your exception and click on the "Advanced View" button.

Step 7: Leave the "Before break" dialogue box as it is and at the "After break" dialogue box please add this string: \xa0

Step 8: Press "OK" when closing the dialogue boxes.

Please note that these steps are for editing the segmentation rules within a specific Translation Memory. If you want to change the rules for all your projects, you'll need to adjust the settings in the "Project Settings" menu instead of the "Translation Memories" view.

I hope this answer addressed your question. If not, please reject the answer, add the question improvement suggestion information, and click the RWS Community AI checkbox on the right to try again.

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • "Probability score": 0.7

"Question improvement suggestion": Please provide more specific details about the issue you're encountering. Are there any error messages appearing when you try to find the "Segmentation Rules" option? Also, it would be helpful if you could share a screenshot of what you see in your settings.

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble finding the "Segmentation Rules" option in Trados Studio 2022 SR2. Here's an alternative way to access it:

Step 1: Open your Translation Memory (TM) in Trados Studio's "Translation Memories" view.

Step 2: Right-click on the TM and select "Settings".

Step 3: Go to "Language Resources", select "Segmentation Rules" and click on "Edit".

Step 4: Select the "Full stop" rule and click on "Edit".

Step 5: Click on the "Add" button to add an exception.

Step 6: Set a name for your exception and click on the "Advanced View" button.

Step 7: Leave the "Before break" dialogue box as it is and at the "After break" dialogue box please add this string: \xa0

Step 8: Press "OK" when closing the dialogue boxes.

Please note that these steps are for editing the segmentation rules within a specific Translation Memory. If you want to change the rules for all your projects, you'll need to adjust the settings in the "Project Settings" menu instead of the "Translation Memories" view.

RWS Community AI

emoji
Children
No Data