"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message with SDL Trados 2017

Hi everyone,

This seems to be a perennial problem, but none of the suggested solutions I've found so far refer specifically to SDL Trados 2017.

I'm getting the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message, which appears when I'm trying to open a file for the first time, and means the file won't open. It seemed to be working fine before I went on holiday, and the problem doesn't occur with packages. I already tried all the solutions suggested in article #4984.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neil

Parents
  • Hi Neil,

When the message appears, you should see a floppy disk mark in the bottom left corner.
    If you click on it you can save all the error details.
    Those details will help narrow down the issue, so it would be great if you could post them here.
  • Hi Jesse,

Thank you for your response. The error details given are:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<SDLErrorDetails time="14/12/2016 12:24:38">

<ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage>

-<Exception>

<Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>

<HelpLink/>

<Source>Sdl.ProjectApi.Helpers</Source>

<HResult>-2147467261</HResult>

-<StackTrace>

-<![CDATA[ at Sdl.ProjectApi.Helpers.LanguageDirectionHelper.GetCascadeSettings(ILanguageDirection languageDirection)
    at Sdl.ProjectApi.Helpers.LanguageDirectionHelper.CreateCascade(ILanguageDirection languageDirection, ProjectCascadeEntryDataFilterFunction filter, IComparer`1 sort, Boolean readOnly, Boolean refreshCache)
    at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TranslatableDocumentConfirmationStatistics..ctor(TranslatableDocument document, IMultiFileConverter converter)
    at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.TranslatableDocument.Load(IJobExecutionContext context)
    at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Services.JobRequest.Execute(IJobExecutionContext context)
    at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job.<_worker_DoWork>b__3()
    at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action)
    at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job._worker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
    at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
    at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)]]>
    </StackTrace>

</Exception>

-<Environment>

<ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>

<ProductVersion>14.0.0.0</ProductVersion>

<EntryAssemblyFileVersion>14.0.5746.0</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>

<OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Home</OperatingSystem>

<ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>

<OperatingSystemLanguage>2057</OperatingSystemLanguage>

<CodePage>1252</CodePage>

<LoggedOnUser>NEIL\neil</LoggedOnUser>

<DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>

<ComputerName>NEIL</ComputerName>

<ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>

<PhysicalMemory>4075236 MB</PhysicalMemory>

</Environment>

</SDLErrorDetails>

• Hi Neil,

Thanks for posting the error message.
    From what I can gather, the file is corrupt. Now how badly corrupt it is is hard to tell without looking at the file itself.
    I'm afraid recreating the file sounds like the best solution.

Now as for why this happens, one guess is you are using Anti-virus software such as Norton or a file cleanup utility such as CCleaner that is clearing the TEMP folder. This is a common cause of files breaking.

Also, perhaps utilizing the AutoSave feature in the future might save headaches:
    producthelp.sdl.com/.../Use_AutoSave.htm
Reply Children