Backing up Publications in their entirety (with history)

Hi everyone, authoring for one of our 65 or so products could move out of our Info Dev organization soon. We know how to back up all the currently active content for the associated docs (Publication exports, publishing to DITA XML, publishing to Tridion formats at particular stages, etc.). But folks are concerned about retaining previous object versions (i.e. before the current one, and for ALL objects within a Publication's hierarchy) as well. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Paul M. (Trellix) 

emoji
Parents
  • Hi, Paul. You got good answers here. I'm actually not sure how Tridion Docs is architected, but I believe that most CCMS applications store content objects as BLOBs, and revision and version information is preserved as deltas in the BLOB. This makes it extremely complicated to crack the BLOB for purposes such as yours. It would be great to just have one button to push, I agree. But with BLOBs there is an awful lot of sorting out to do. It would be interesting to hear from magicians like Mark Novembrino, who have done migrations while preserving versions (I think). But even then, I don't know if that process deconstructs the BLOBs, or merely gets them happily to their new location, intact.

emoji
  • Hi, Paul. As Jay mentioned, I've performed some large migrations. My process involved building custom applications using the TD web APIs to facilitate export and import of baselines, metadata, content objects, outputs, and folder structures. These were big projects with a lot of moving parts so it's difficult to provide a full sense of the process and details here in a few paragraphs. One thing that stands out for me in the discussion, however, is that there's no mention of a need to reconstitute the publications and their associated content/metadata in a new target environment. Do you have that requirement? With some minor tweaking of configuration (per Frank's suggestion) and using Elizabeth's export process, you can get the content exported. But there's no built-in way to rebuild the publications in another environment along with associated baselines, versions, outputs, folder structures, etc. That's where custom apps and the APIs are needed to get the full replication of your original source.

emoji
  • Hi, Paul. As Jay mentioned, I've performed some large migrations. My process involved building custom applications using the TD web APIs to facilitate export and import of baselines, metadata, content objects, outputs, and folder structures. These were big projects with a lot of moving parts so it's difficult to provide a full sense of the process and details here in a few paragraphs. One thing that stands out for me in the discussion, however, is that there's no mention of a need to reconstitute the publications and their associated content/metadata in a new target environment. Do you have that requirement? With some minor tweaking of configuration (per Frank's suggestion) and using Elizabeth's export process, you can get the content exported. But there's no built-in way to rebuild the publications in another environment along with associated baselines, versions, outputs, folder structures, etc. That's where custom apps and the APIs are needed to get the full replication of your original source.

emoji
Children
No Data