Bug - Contributors creating many syntax errors by copy-pasting elements in Draft web interface

I have several contributors and I can't figure out how to get them to stop copy/pasting elements in the Draft interface as they create new content. They are introducing hundreds of duplicate GUIDs which take me many hours to clear in oXygen before I publish. I have created a help document in my instructional OneNote notebook called Addressing DITA syntax errors but it is hard to get them to read that material before they do their part, and even harder to get them to break habits.

Why doesn't Tridion Docs clear the GUID from a pasted element, letting the CCMS assign it a new one at save? I believe this is similar to how Microsoft Expression Web 4 (from 2010) handles it - they have an option to "Make ID [GUID] unique on paste" and also one to "Assign unique IDs [GUIDs] to new tables". I wish RWS would add a similar option, so that these syntax errors could be eliminated at the source.

This is in Tridion Docs 14 SP4. I am not sure when the team plans to upgrade but that is not up to me. I am a sole author responsible for a quite large branch of our product documentation.

Here is a sample of the error being introduced in Draft Space - of course, the contributor will edit the copied paragraphs, but they have no idea they've already created the duplicate GUID problem. I try to teach them to view their content in the XML tab before saving so they can delete duplicate GUIDs, but of my contributors, only one will actually do that, and he is neither a programmer nor the heaviest contributor. My coder contributors don't seen to care about syntax errors I have to fix!

Screenshot of Tridion Docs interface showing a 'Start command' section with highlighted text being copied and pasted, resulting in duplicate content.

In oXygen, the syntax errors are very obvious, but none of them get to see this view. Two of them would be completely put off by working in oXygen and the other two are not in our budget for the software seats and training.

Screenshot of an XML editor with 'Start command' content showing original and copied paragraphs, indicated by arrows, leading to duplicate GUID errors.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 6:53 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents Reply Children
No Data