Publication Manager error on Publication > Open

Is this a known error? Anyone know what the cause/fix is?

This is on Pub Manager 14.0.6707.4.

We have tried uninstalling/re-installing, deleting local storage, resetting PM to out-of-the-box configuration.

Error message in Trados Studio's Open Publication dialog box showing a warning icon with text: 'hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 32, position 13.' and an OK button.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 6:54 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
  • Hi Meg,

I assume this is a data problem. Some (xml) file is having unexpected early 0x00 so null characters in it.

• Any highlights on what happened recently?
    • It worked until this or that?
    • That Publication can still be opened on other machines or under other user names?

The error message is indeed cryptic, perhaps we can find more information in the log files on which component is raising this. Can you check folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\RWS\InfoShare Client\15.0\Log or sibling folders depending on your version?

Best wishes,
    Dave

emoji
  • There was a brief discussion of a similar error here:

What is wrong when I am told that "hexadecimal value 0x00 is an invalid character. Line 1 Position 1" and this prevents me from opening or checking out a map ? 

The user did have a computer crash while a topic was checked out. The theory is that the file in local storage got corrupted. This was my response there:

We've had this happen, but unfortunately I can't find anything in my email history about it. Probably because everyone sends me screen shots instead of actual error message text.

My best guess is that you have UTF-16 encoded content that isn't being recognized as that. Could be a UTF-16 file that lost its BOM and/or <?xml ...?> declaration. Or a UTF-16 string embedded in data where UTF-8 or something else is expected.

How this happened due to a computer crash, I have no idea. Maybe the file was under edit and got corrupted?

-Jay

emoji
  • Hi Dave,

It's not the publication itself. Others are able to open it.

The user states that he was able to work in PM and then suddenly this started popping up - no issue happened as far as he could tell.

I do see the error in the user's log file, but not sure how to go about resolving it.

Let me know if I should log a support ticket.

Publication Manager.log

Thanks,

Meg

emoji
  • Hi Meg,

So the issue is for a particular publication for one user on one machine. So one last attempt, inspired by the error 

System.Xml.XmlException: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 32, position 13.
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Char[] data, Int32 length, Int32 invCharPos)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
       at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadEndElement()
       at Trisoft.InfoShare.Xml.XmlBaseObjectReader.ReadObject()
       at Trisoft.InfoShare.LocalStorage.LocalStore.GetObjectReader(String metadataFilePath)
    LocalStoreItemCollection.get_Item => LocalStoreItemCollection.AddItem => LocalStore.GetObjectReader
    2024-02-02T09:56:17.4406617	(PID 69996:14)	Error	Trisoft.InfoShare.LocalStorage.LocalStore.GetObjectReader	(metadataFilePath=[..SNIP-TI-Drive...\Documents\SDL\InfoShare\0622593619\a0496633\Condition Management=ISHCONDITIONMANAGEMENT=1=en-us=.3sish])	[]

The file Condition Management=ISHCONDITIONMANAGEMENT=1=en-us=.3sish would be the number one file to start with. Can you verify what it looks like, perhaps move the file to your desktop (so outside of LocalStorage) and see if there is recovery code. Or compare or replace it with a working one from another machine.

If this fails, then this looks like a support ticket, with the guidance of this community thread to one-by-one remove the temporary storage/cached files of that publication plus full log files of course.

Best of luck,
    Dave

emoji