What is the intended use of the Obsolete Workflow status?

Hi,

I am unclear on what the intended use is of the Obsolete workflow status on a content object. 

It is part of the released category of workflow statuses so I will still get a Release Candidate for a Publication output even if it contains topics in Obsolete status.

Any feedback appreciated,

Regards,

Ann

emoji
  • Hey Ann

In TD a status is technically either "draft" meaning still editable. Or it is "released". Meaning it's not editable a new version must be created.

Most customers have only one "released" status, usually called "Released". But it could also be called "Approved" or "Final". Does not matter.

In some environments there is more than one "released" status. And if you have the correct use role, it's possible to move from one released status to another. Without affecting publishing process. If content is all good and all objects are in a released status, you get a Release Candidate.

The reason why some clients have an extra released status it that at times they want to indicate that a Released object is actually incorrect and should not be used. Some have a status "DO NOT USE". This is to help authors when building out publication, that that particular version of the topic should be avoided. Usually they put a note in the changes field why that is the case. And there normally is a higher version - probably also released. In other words, it's a visual aid to ensure that content with a known error - which may not be deleted as it's part of a frozen baseline somewhere - is more clearly marked as "to be avoided".

Hope this helps.

BR

Kurt

emoji
  • Hi Kurt, thank you very much for that reply, it makes things clearer for me. 

emoji