• Introducing GroupShareKit

I love small and simple things that help me be more productive with my work. This is the main reasons why some time ago I started to work on GroupShareKit and I'm now happy to say that this is now available for everyone to use it as they like. Not only that you can use it but is completely open source. What is GroupShareKit? GroupShareKit is a client library targeting .NET 4.5 and above that provides an easy…
  • Setting up build automation for .Net open source projects

In the last weeks I worked on a .net client library for SDL Studio GroupShare . This new client library is open source and meant to simplify developers work in terms of consuming resources available in GroupShare, but more about this on a future article. As I was coming closer to make a new release of this library I was thinking that it would make perfect sense to automate the build. There are many reasons to do that…
  • GroupShare custom authentication provider

GroupShare is a collaboration platform for translation teams that is helping streamline translation processes, reduce coordination efforts and offer a secure access to all in-house and external resources. I'm not going to get into details about GroupShare but if you want to know more have a look here . Since GroupShare is a collaboration platform it implies that there are ways to create and manage users. Out of the box…
  • How I learned to stop worrying and love machine translation

From a translators’ discussion forum : After translating for over ten years it has come to my attention that the automated machine translations are gaining in popularity with big companies. An agent from an agency I work with recently told me that soon...
  • TriKonf 2015 – Who ever said translators don’t like new technology?

Last week I attended TriKonf 2015 in Freiburg, Germany, which offered an excellent program on the use of technology by translators. I had been tentatively planning on attending since the conference was announced, and ultimately it seemed just too interesting...
  • OpenExchange:Where do I start?

This is the 4th part of the OpenExchange: Age of Developers series and is meant to provide information about places you can use to learn the API's to build applications for OpenExchange store. Age of developers - table of contents As I release parts of this series I will update this page with links to the articles. Introduction I’m a translator do I need to write code? I’m a developer, why bother…
  • Studio API Training Day

By this time some of you are already aware of my Age of Developers initiative. This initiative is meant to help everyone which would like to build applications for OpenExchange store or integrate SDL language products in their organization. Another way to learn develop applications for OpenExchange store is by going to a training. Now I have to say this is not something that happens regularly but if there is enough demand…
  • Translate,Measure,Compete...#YourProductivity

A few months back during a brainstorm session me an and Paul Filkin where playing with some ideas on how we could help translators improve their productivity. It was clear from the beginning that we need to provide some metrics that will help translators understand how they are performing but we also wanted to make it in a fun way. We ended with a few ideas which we then refined with sales and marketing teams from SDL…
  • Configure OpenExchange development environment

This is the third part of the OpenExchange: Age of Developers series and is meant to provide guideline on how to setup the development environment for OpenExchange. Age of developers - table of contents As I release parts of this series I will update this page with links to the articles. Introduction I’m a translator do I need to write code? I’m a developer, why bother with translation industry…
  • How important is it for a translator to be a native-speaker of the target…

This question, long and often debated in translators’ circles, sparked a thread on Proz this week. As prickly topics like this tend to do, it resulted in a long string of replies, counter-replies, detours, anecdotes, opinions, fallacies, etc. But you...
  • MT Enhanced Trados Plugin is now open source

As of today, my MT Enhanced Trados Plugin is no longer really “my” plugin. It belongs to everyone now…(sort of). I retain the copyright, but the license is Apache 2.0, so feel free to do whatever you want with it, including commercial uses. The repo is...
  • How to use the ‘maxversion’ attribute for Trados Studio plugins to target…

A nice feature for SDL Trados Studio plugin developers is the new plugin installer utility bundled with Studio 2015. After the utility gets installed on a user’s system, installing plugins to Studio is as easy as double clicking the .sdlplugin file, which...
  • Target all versions of Trados Studio with a single plugin project in Visual…

On this page: Background Step 1. Create custom build configurations Step 2. Point to different .NET framework versions for the different builds Step 3. Point to the correct references for the respective build configurations Step 4. Modify the...
  • I'm a developer, why bother with translation industry?

This is the second part of the OpenExchange: Age of Developers series and is meant to highlight a few benefits of getting involved in the translation industry as a developer. Age of developers - table of contents As I release parts of this series I will update this page with links to the articles. Introduction I’m a translator do I need to write code? I’m a developer, why bother with translation…
  • I'm a translator do I need to write code?

This is the first part of the OpenExchange: Age of Developers series. This article is meant to be a short guide for translators who are willing to augment their productivity and ease their day to day work by writing plugins for SDL Studio, but they don't know from where to start. Age of developers - table of contents As I release parts of this series I will update this page with links to the articles. …
  • OpenExchange: Age of developers

OpenExchange was launched a few years back by SDL with the purpose to allow anyone to integrate their solutions or ideas with the SDL language platform. This gave everyone freedom to augment the SDL language platform according to their needs. Because of this freedom, apps like Glossary Converter , MSWord Grammar Checker and many others where possible. It's pretty obvious that this brings great value to every SDL language…
  • SDL Innovate SF & Hackathon 2015 – worth the trip

Last month I attended SDL’s “Innovate” event in San Francisco, which was the only SDL Innovate this year to include a pre-conference “Developer Day” and a “Hackathon”. I had been a little hesitant about attending at first, but ultimately made the decision...
  • To U.S. translation agencies: you don’t need a W-8BEN

I’ve been seeing a lot of posts on translator discussion boards with questions about the W‑8BEN form, which some U.S. LSPs request from translators based outside the country. There seems to be a lot of confusion for translators filling out this form,...
  • Integration API enhancements introduced in SDL Studio CU10

Latest SDL Studio update, cumulative update 10, was released on 13th of May and together with this update there a few additions to the integration API. If you want to see the entire list of changes included in this update have a look here . Now lets get down to business and talk about the integration api changes. Table of contents This is a pretty long post and you might not want to read through the entire article…
  • Playing with SDL Studio settings

SDL Studio is a complex and extendable application witch comes with a few APIs that allows any developer to extend the application in all kind of ways. To be more exact there are 6 APIs you can use to build your application. This degree of complexity and extensibility translates in a huge amount of settings you can play with. The user interface does a great job presenting them in a meaningful way but that is not the same…
  • The inaugural #SDLhackathon delivers pizza, co-working and innovation

SDL Hackathon

Following the great success of the ‘Developer Day’ – part of the pre-conference program at SDL Innovate – the collective expertise of the developer community came together in a San Francisco studio space to share knowledge, code and a little friendly competition at the first ever Hackathon event for SDL.

There was pizza; a well-stocked bar, a great t-shirt design, curious team names (Tahzooligans…

• Studio plugin versioning

SDL Studio 2015 is just around the corner and as a plugin developer there are a few things you should do to make your plugin compatible with this new Studio version. You can read more about this here: Steps to upgrade your plugin for Studio 2015 . Now with all Studio versions out there some may ask how can I control my plugin versions and how can I make sure my plugin will be used only by the appropriate version of SDL…
  • Code by the book

A few weeks back a friend of mine asked me to recommend him some programming/technical books. I was busy at that moment so I couldn't write my recommendations but he suggested that I should write an article on my blog. I thought that it's a great idea so here it is my list of recommendations. Although most of the times a I code in C# most of the books are technology agnostic which means every developer can read them.…
  • Merge files using SDL Studio Project Automation API

SDL Studio allows the user to merge multiple files into one bilingual document (sdlxliff). This can be done during project creation and it can be useful in situations where you have multiple small files and you might want to translate them in one go without switching between documents. If you don't already know SDL Studio is very extensible via the API's that are made available but sometimes simple things are not so simple…