Under Community Review

Excluding a given segment from auto-propagation

Hi everybody,

I am a huge fan of auto-propagation, but it happens I want to exclude a given segment from the auto-propagation, because the context requires I translate it differently of other like segments.

In practice, I would like to be able to translate or change a specific without propagating the specific translation or change to all the segments down the road that were auto-propagated from a segment located higher in the document. 

For instance, in the picture below, the segment was propagated as "É.A.U. (Dubaï)" since it is written this way elsewhere in the document. But in this specific table, I would need to be able to write it "É.A.U. – Dubaï", for consistency reasons with the rest of that one table, being sure that it will not inadvertently revert to the first format if I change anything elsewhere.

Screenshot of Trados Studio segment with auto-propagation, showing 'E.A.U. (Dubai)' with a warning icon indicating a potential issue.

Would it be possible to exclude a specific segment from auto-propagation with, for instance, a simple right-click? 

Thanks in advance

Parents
  • Salut Philippe,

You probably know that you can prevent or change the settings for autopropagation under File>Options, here:Screenshot of Trados Studio Options dialog showing Auto-propagation settings with 'Enable Auto-propagation' checked and various conditions for prompting the user.

This is a difficult one. I presume you don't want to turn auto-propagation off altogether, or you'd just click 'Always'.

Yet, how could you stop at a given repetition to right-click if one of the above instances were not appropriate to the empty target you'd like to translate differently.

As much of my work these days is proofreading, I use the setting I have ticked above because I'm reading existing target content. However, when translating from scratch, I can't see how one would differentiate between a segment that required a different translation whilst at the same time auto-propagating segments that should be identical, without going through the document to right-click that segment which takes the same amount of time as locking that segment...

What am I missing here?

All the best,

Ali Smiley

(not an RWS employee, just interested by your idea and the scenario this could be implemented in)

• Thank you Alison,

Thank you for your answer. Indeed, the option you point could work.
    I will test it. Actually, I already changed the setting:

Screenshot of Trados Studio Ideas settings with options for automatic propagation and quality evaluation of translation. 'Conditionally when:' is selected with sub-options related to segment translation.

Thanks again Alison 
    Kind regards

• Ce n'est que la communication qui compte. Chacun fait des erreurs, même dans sa propre langue ! Wink

•   

La suggestion d'Alison a-t-elle permis de résoudre le problème ?

• Yes and No. I do not have the feeling to have as much control on segments I wish to exclude... or re-include (no flag or other mark).
    Also, even if I am prompted when translating a repeated segment in another way, nothings assures me that the exception would be preserved if I change the first occurrence later.
    The best way would have been to specifically exclude (with some flag) one segment from the autopropagation.  

• Be happy Trados Studio has such options as it has. The main competitor will either auto-propagate or not. No other option there.

This said, we have a similar necessity in Polish not to auto-propagate all segments in the very same way. Nonetheless, I fail to see how to tell the software to differ in situations like in this example. How shall the software know to replace here, but not to do elsewhere? The only instance knowing this is the human in front of the computer. We do have numerous options to deal with this. Ali has shown you a setting you need. Other option is to be asked by each and every repetition to confirm auto-propagation. You can then chose yes or no. One can also filter on repetitions and then decide which ones need to be translated differently.

Unfortunately I cannot understand your French comments Slight smile, so maybe all this has already been discussed before.

And when we are on auto-propagation, please support me here: community.rws.com/.../mark-the-first-segment-of-auto-propagation-as-such---so-that-when-reviewing-you-see-it-is-repeated

• Hi Jerzy,

Of course we are happy, we all still work with Studio. But I thought, this is the place where to suggest improvements, right?

I'd like to detail a bit: I'm with you: we remain the instance to decide which segment will be auto-propagated and which not.

To me however the question is not if but how. Some ways prove to be easier than other, and generally I prefer the easier ones. Especially when it comes to productivity or avoiding errors (we are talking about long files, not the one or two pager you can easily handle even without the auto-propagate functionality).

Any check I do not need to double on, is a time saving.

And re. your other ideaOk hand: you have my vote already

Comment
  • Hi Jerzy,

Of course we are happy, we all still work with Studio. But I thought, this is the place where to suggest improvements, right?

I'd like to detail a bit: I'm with you: we remain the instance to decide which segment will be auto-propagated and which not.

To me however the question is not if but how. Some ways prove to be easier than other, and generally I prefer the easier ones. Especially when it comes to productivity or avoiding errors (we are talking about long files, not the one or two pager you can easily handle even without the auto-propagate functionality).

Any check I do not need to double on, is a time saving.

And re. your other ideaOk hand: you have my vote already

Children
  • Basically, given what we have now in Studio, you can press Ctrl+Shift+U to store a second translation in your TM (if you want/need that behaviour) and then manually change the segment status to Translated. This would keep the following reps intact.
    If you don't want/need to store the second translation in your TM, then just manually change the segment status to Translated.

If you use AHK, I can suggest a script to do that task in one key stroke (F12):
    *I am not sure about versions 2022 and 2024, whether their exe file name includes SDL or not. Probably you may need to remove "SDL" from the first line to read as IfWinActive, ahk_exe TradosStudio.exe.

IfWinActive, ahk_exe SDLTradosStudio.exe
    F12::
    SendInput, {Alt}hut
    Sleep 300
    Send, ^+u
    #IfWinActive
    Return