This topic contains condensed instructions to get you to quickly start working with SDL SDL Trados Business Manager.
First of all, when you run SDL Trados Business Manager for the first time (clean installation), you will be prompted to enter a password. By default, user name is Admin, and password is User@TBM. After logging in, you can go to the Other/tools > Users, select Admin user and change its password (and even set to blank, so logon window won't appear when you launch TBM).
When you first open SDL Trados Business Manager, a First run assistant provides initial setup instructions. You can also access the assistant through the Tools tab.
The more settings and reference data you enter to begin with, the better. But it is hard to fill in this type of baseline information in any program until you get a feel for the program itself. Here are the minimum fields that must be completed before you create your first job.
Set up reference data
About this task
Set up basic settings for your work environment in the Reference data tab.
- Select Reference data > Languages and check if all the languages that you will work with are in the list. If not, select New > Language in the ribbon and enter the language. Select Save and Close and also close the Languages tab once you are done adding languages.
- Select Reference data > Language pairs and then select New > Language pair in the ribbon. Use the drop-down to select source and target languages. Close the Language pairs tab.
- If you need to add to the default currencies (USD, GBP and EUR), select Reference data > Currencies and then select New > Currencies.
- Select Reference data > Taxes and add one or more taxes with their percentages.
- Select Reference data > Payment methods and add a payment method - add the name (the name will appear on the invoice), the currency and other details.
Set up application
- Go to Tools > Settings.
- In the Main data and contact details tab, complete the details you need for your first invoice.
- In the Application settings, p1 tab, complete base currency and default language pair.
- In the Invoice settings tab, select an invoice template.
- Save your changes.
Create first job
- Go to Workspace > Translation jobs and select New > Translation job
- Change the deadline date.
- Select or add a customer.
- Select or add a PM (client contact) for that customer.
- Check that the currency and language direction are correct.
- In the job details window at bottom of the job window itself, add a new task and specify:
- Work type (translation, revision, DTP, etc.)
- Quantity (number of words, hours, etc.)
- Unit (source word, hour, line, etc.)
- Select Save and Close. You will see the job in green because its status is 'Processing'.
Finish the job
- Go to the Translation Jobs view and double select the job row.
- Insert the delivery date.
- Select Save and Close. The row turns to red because the status is 'Sent'.
Invoice the job
- Go to the Translation Jobs view.
- Select the job row (select arrow furthest left).
- Select Create invoice from the ribbon
- Set the invoice due date in the Term date picker.
- Select the default payment method or add a new one.
- On the the bottom-right of the form, add any taxes or discounts.
- Save changes.
- Select Print invoice.
- In the Print Preview tab, edit the invoice and print it as you wish. Of course, do not forget that when you have got time, you will need to return to the Reference Data tab to complete more default values, open the newly-created customer to complete more details there, and even customize an invoice when you have got all the rest under control.