IMPORTANT MESSAGE: We are still experiencing some difficulties that will affect your ability work with the RWS AppStore. Our IT team is working to resolve this but for now you may not be able to download or upload apps through the RWS AppStore. We apologise for the inconvenience and will update the community when we have a resolution in place. In the meantime you can take advantage of the Private AppStore if you are using Trados Studio 2021 or 2022.

Dedicated term extract workflow

Good afternoon:

I would like to know if there is a proces or workflow to extract terms from a document using an existing Multiterm termbase, i.e. the workflow would detect in the original document only the terms already registered in the termbase and extract them into a new termbase to, for example, send it to a collaborator.

I have done my own research on this several times to no avail.

Thank very much.

Pablo Dittrich

emoji
Parents
  • What about doing a “normal” term extraction on your document, then exporting all the terms in your termbase, then delete all extracted terms that don't match a term in your termbase. Any standard text editor like EditPad Pro should allow you to do that.

The problem I see here is fuzzy term recognition, or rather the lack thereof. (If your TB contains “shelf” and your document contains “shelves”, it would take a bit to get that to match.) You could overcome that if you convert your TB into a TM with identical source term and target term, then “pre-translate” your list of extracted terms using that TM. You determine which level of match you will accept and arrive with a certain number of the extracted terms that have a translation (your TB entry) and a certain number without. Using Export to Excel or something similar, you export the whole stuff and delete all rows that have no translation. (=have no match in your TB)

Now you have a spreadsheet of terms extracted from your document and the matching TB entries.

What is your hoped-for result of this operation? A list of terms? A MultiTerm termbase that contains all the additional information that your current termbase contains? If you want to arrive at a slimmed-down version of your TB, you'd have to export it with Glossary Converter and use the aforementioned spreadsheet to filter out entries that don't match a TB entry in your new spreadsheet.

Then you use Glossary converter to create a new TB from that. I know it's a few steps, but it's scalable. The entire process should take less than 30 minutes.

Daniel

emoji
Reply Children
No Data