Importing only some languages into an empty MultiTerm from a MTF-XML with many languages

Hi there

I try to split a very large termbase with many languages in it into smaller ones containing only a few languages:

Firts, modified the term definition of an existing, empty termbase by deleting all indexes/languages not needed and then  imported the xml.

I found out that MT only imports the full number of entries containing terms in the selected languages if I choose the option "Allow over-complete entries" (as Anna had observed as well).

But if I do so MT will import all languages and terms contained in the XML  It seems that MT can only import and filter on the entry level.

The desired result would be a termbase containing exactly the full number of terms in the selected languages. 

As a first solution I use an XSL transformation on the XML to get rid of the unwanted languageGrp elements.

Is there a simpler solution to the desired result by using MT Desktop without having to manipulate the XML before importing it?

PS: Using the Glossary Converter (which is a very good tool and would do the job exactly in the way I want it) is not an option in my case. 

Thank you for your help.

WIth kind regards

Victor

emoji
  •  

I think, if you can't use the Glossary Converter which is definitely the preferred and most reliable method, then you may be able to do this by exporting the MultiTerm XML for the languages you need from MultiTerm.  Then you only have what you need from the start.

Otherwise, if you need to do a lot of this stuff and don't have access to the Glossary Converter, then perhaps look at tools like Excelling MultiTerm from Kaleidoscope:

https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/185

It may not be the process you want to use but it could be more reliable than manipulating the XML.  There are challenges associated with file manipulation using MultiTerm and MultiTerm Convert, so I would always recommend alternative methods to ensure a smoother user experience.

Why can't you use the Glossary Converter?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Victor, 

I do not fully understand how you tried to split that TDB. 

This is what I did with official EU databases available in the RWS store (they come like in 10-12 languages, sometimes with definitions at language level and NO multimedia),

I exported them fully, applying no filters.

Then I imported the .xml in the existing corporate TDB which has 6 languages. Corresponding terms were automatically taken and imported from the entries available in the EU database and that´s it.

So, in your case, I would create an empty TDB with the structure you need. 

Then export all entries from that megaTDB you have and import the .xml to the new database with fewer languages. 

BUT: I warn you in advance, multimedia files will not be attached properly, so you will have to attach them manually, if any. I guess you have a special folder for those , so it will take time, but not too much.

Definitions may appear readable but locked for editing. No problem. Copy, open a new definition field, paste and delete the automatically created definition.

These are minor failures you may have in the process. But it is quick and easy,

Best regards!

emoji
  • Hello Yulia

Thank you for your helpfull answer. 

OK, now it's clear to me: Defining a custom export instead of trying to filter on default export.

This works fine in the way I want it.

Kind regards

Victor

emoji
  • Hi Paul

I followed Yulia's advice and was able to export only the few languages I wanted. Then imported the XML into an empty SDLTM.

Glossary Converter: I like it very much and often make use of it. It's a gerat tool!

But in some environments I am not allowed to introduce or even use tools that have not been validated.by the company's IT Security.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Victor

emoji