Import ITS and SRX files

Hi there,

I use Trados Studio Freelance version 2021. I want to create an xml based file type and use existing ITS and SRX files.

ITS:

Adjusting existing file type:

In the support I found this information about configuring file type settings:

• Select the Parser page.
  • Select Import... and browse for the file.

On my configure parser page I only see Add, Edit, Delete, Deactivate, and no Import option. Is that something that comes with an upgrade to Trados Studio Professional?

Creating new file type:

I tried to create a file type based on specific xml settings by uploading an ITS file. But this gives an error telling me I have to use the standard ITS filter. But I cannot adjust the settings nor copy the settings of the standard xml ITS file type. Doesn't make a difference using its extension instead of xml - same error.

Trados Studio error message stating 'ITS namespace is referenced in the ITSSample.its.xml file. There is a dedicated ITS filter, please open the file with the dedicated filter in order to extract the content for translation.'

SRX:

My information up to now is that it is not possible to import SRX files into a file type definition. The only way to adjust segmentation rules is per language in the TM. Is there any other way?

Thanks!

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 4:41 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
  • I tried to create a file type based on specific xml settings by uploading an ITS file. But this gives an error telling me I have to use the standard ITS filter.

I think the error may be because you haven't defined your namespace correctly for the custom filetype you created.  It then tries to be helpful by noting that there is an out of the box ITS filetype.  If you can share the ITS file we can take a look for you?

My information up to now is that it is not possible to import SRX files into a file type definition.

Correct.  SRX rules are normally associated with a TM and not a filetype definition.  You can control segmentation to some extent in a filetype, but rarely in accordance with the way an SRX would work.

The only way to adjust segmentation rules is per language in the TM.

This is correct because of how Trados Studio was architected.  If you were after a set of rules to apply to multiple language pairs then you could create this in a Language Resource Template, and the fastest way to do this is by using this app, applyTM Template:

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/applytm-template/966/

emoji
  • Thanks, Paul. The ITS file looks like that. The project was for testing an xml workflow:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <its:rules version="1.0" xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its">
        <its:translateRule selector="//title" translate="yes"/>
        <its:translateRule selector="//paragraph" translate="yes"/>
        <its:translateRule selector="//value" translate="no"/>
        <its:translateRule selector="//currency" translate="no"/>
        <its:translateRule selector="//description[@trans='no']" translate="no"/>
        <its:withinTextRule selector="//b" withinText="yes"/>
    </its:rules>
    emoji
  • Hi 

Thank you for that.  I see your problem as you get a sort of loop with the ITS filetype telling you you can create your own using the ITS.xml and then the creation process telling you to use the ITS out of the box when you do.  Not very helpful!

You do have a couple of workarounds however:

Create the rules manually

Create a default XML filetype with no rules yet, and then use the ITS XPath selectors for your rule set.

Create based on default settings:

Trados Studio screenshot showing the option to create an XML file type based on default settings selected.

Add your rules one at a time working through the selectors identified in your ITS file:

Trados Studio screenshot displaying a list of parser rules with various translate, tag type, and context settings.

Use the older XML (Embedded Content) filetype

The older filetype will successfully import your ITS.xml file and support the creation of the rules.

Select your ITS.xml:

Trados Studio screenshot with 'Define settings based on XML, sdlftsettings or XSD rule file' selected and 'ITS.xml' entered in the file name field.

Click next and you'll get this prompt:

Popup window in Trados Studio asking if the user wishes to import ITS rules detected in the file being imported.

Click on "Yes" and you'll see something like this:

Trados Studio screenshot showing parser rules with a green checkmark indicating successful completion of the step.

Export the sdlftsettings file from the older XML (Embedded Content) filetype you just created above and create an XML2 filetype with it

Here you go back to the first thing you tried, but this time you don't import the ITS.xml.  Instead you export the sdlftsettings file from the older XML filetype you just created above:

Trados Studio options window with 'Export Settings...' button highlighted, indicating where to export the sdlftsettings file.

Then import into your new XML2 version:

Trados Studio import settings window with 'ITS.sdlftsettings' file selected for import.

You'll get a view like this making sure yo know what was missing:

Trados Studio screenshot showing import status with warnings for parser rules and namespace mappings that require review.

And you'll end up with this:

Trados Studio screenshot displaying parser rules with detailed view expanded for the 'description' rule.

So a few ways to resolve this.  I hope this helps?

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 4:42 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for this workaround! It works and like this I can stay in Trados with my xml files. Otherwise I would have created an xliff elsewhere everytime.

emoji