Import ITS and SRX files

Hi there,

I use Trados Studio Freelance version 2021. I want to create an xml based file type and use existing ITS and SRX files.

ITS:

Adjusting existing file type:

In the support I found this information about configuring file type settings:

• Select the Parser page.
  • Select Import... and browse for the file.

On my configure parser page I only see Add, Edit, Delete, Deactivate, and no Import option. Is that something that comes with an upgrade to Trados Studio Professional?

Creating new file type:

I tried to create a file type based on specific xml settings by uploading an ITS file. But this gives an error telling me I have to use the standard ITS filter. But I cannot adjust the settings nor copy the settings of the standard xml ITS file type. Doesn't make a difference using its extension instead of xml - same error.

Trados Studio error message stating 'ITS namespace is referenced in the ITSSample.its.xml file. There is a dedicated ITS filter, please open the file with the dedicated filter in order to extract the content for translation.'

SRX:

My information up to now is that it is not possible to import SRX files into a file type definition. The only way to adjust segmentation rules is per language in the TM. Is there any other way?

Thanks!

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 4:41 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • I tried to create a file type based on specific xml settings by uploading an ITS file. But this gives an error telling me I have to use the standard ITS filter.

I think the error may be because you haven't defined your namespace correctly for the custom filetype you created.  It then tries to be helpful by noting that there is an out of the box ITS filetype.  If you can share the ITS file we can take a look for you?

My information up to now is that it is not possible to import SRX files into a file type definition.

Correct.  SRX rules are normally associated with a TM and not a filetype definition.  You can control segmentation to some extent in a filetype, but rarely in accordance with the way an SRX would work.

The only way to adjust segmentation rules is per language in the TM.

This is correct because of how Trados Studio was architected.  If you were after a set of rules to apply to multiple language pairs then you could create this in a Language Resource Template, and the fastest way to do this is by using this app, applyTM Template:

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/applytm-template/966/

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • I tried to create a file type based on specific xml settings by uploading an ITS file. But this gives an error telling me I have to use the standard ITS filter.

I think the error may be because you haven't defined your namespace correctly for the custom filetype you created.  It then tries to be helpful by noting that there is an out of the box ITS filetype.  If you can share the ITS file we can take a look for you?

My information up to now is that it is not possible to import SRX files into a file type definition.

Correct.  SRX rules are normally associated with a TM and not a filetype definition.  You can control segmentation to some extent in a filetype, but rarely in accordance with the way an SRX would work.

The only way to adjust segmentation rules is per language in the TM.

This is correct because of how Trados Studio was architected.  If you were after a set of rules to apply to multiple language pairs then you could create this in a Language Resource Template, and the fastest way to do this is by using this app, applyTM Template:

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/applytm-template/966/

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
Children
No Data