Trados Keeps Deleting Plus Signs

Hello. I am experiencing an issue with Trados's Translation Memory entries when translating from Korean to English. Please see the below screenshot for context.

As you can see, our existing convention for STR 10 증가 ("STR Increase 10") is "STR +10". The cell I've got selected is "STR 20 증가", which should translate as "STR +20", but instead I get "STR 20". If I were to add the plus sign, then create a fresh version of the file and pre-translate it again, the output would be "STR 20" once more.

Currently, this means that I must prepare the finalized version of this file myself, and add in all the missing plus sign by hand. But I can't even confirm the cells, because the plus signs will be lost during auto-propagation.

Here's what I think is going on:

1. Trados refuses to create a unique Translation Memory entry for "STR +20" because it believes that the existing entry for "STR +10" is functionally equivalent (Trados won't even let me use CTRL+SHIFT+U to create a "duplicate" entry)
  2. Because it doesn't have a 1:1 match in the form of said TM entry, Trados tries to interpolate the translation for the current cell based on the original TM, but for reasons unknown to me, drops the plus sign.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve this issue in the long term? Perhaps by tweaking the rules for my Translation Memory?

Thanks.

Parents
  • Hi  

Tweaking the segmentation rules is not going to help here I'm afraid.  I think that, if this is the accepted way to write exponents in Korean, this is a number recognition problem, hence only the number itself has the blue line under it (segment #2):

If I add the plus symbol to the source (incorrectly I know) it works fine, although still not recognising the Korean of course:

I'll take this up with the development team and see what their view on this is.  Generally we use the underlying libraries of your operating system so if Microsoft doesn't recognise this as a number then we won't either.  So for now I can only offer you four workarounds.

Search and replace the source text, either in the source file or in the SDLXLIFF (you can use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit for this), and add a plus symbol to the front of all your numbers that follow the convention you show here.  So make the source look like my example above.

Search and replace the target text after you have completed the translation to correct the STR 20 for example, and make it STR +20.

Use the regex autosuggest provider to place all your numbers as you type - http://appstore.sdl.com/app/regex-match-autosuggest-provider/412/

Use the Terminjector to correctly autopropagate the numbers as you need them - http://appstore.sdl.com/app/terminjector/759/

I'll come back to you once I have some feedback from development.

Regards

Paul

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• Same issue when working with numbers with commas. I'm surprised this hasn't been a bigger issue for people working with currencies.

Honestly, it wouldn't be so frustrating if Trados would just allow me to create a unique TU for this source text, but CTRL + SHIFT + Enter does nothing. I guess because the source text is so similar, Trados thinks it knows better than me. Ultimately, if something is in the translation of the TU I've created, Trados should respect that when it auto-propagates.

The biggest problem with using something like Term Injector as a solution is that I'm not the person preparing the final file that will be delivered. As multiple people may be editing these files simultaneously before they're handed off to be prepped for delivery, Trados needs to store the correct finalized text for each cell in the TM so that they can be consistently retrieved.

• Same issue when working with numbers with commas. I'm surprised this hasn't been a bigger issue for people working with currencies.

Honestly, it wouldn't be so frustrating if Trados would just allow me to create a unique TU for this source text, but CTRL + SHIFT + Enter does nothing. I guess because the source text is so similar, Trados thinks it knows better than me. Ultimately, if something is in the translation of the TU I've created, Trados should respect that when it auto-propagates.

The biggest problem with using something like Term Injector as a solution is that I'm not the person preparing the final file that will be delivered. As multiple people may be editing these files simultaneously before they're handed off to be prepped for delivery, Trados needs to store the correct finalized text for each cell in the TM so that they can be consistently retrieved.

Children
No Data