Error when trying to generate Preview in Studio 2017: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: stream

I am no longer able to generate preview of xlf files. I get this error message:

Error message window in Trados Studio stating 'Value cannot be null. Parameter name: stream' with an OK button.

I recently updated to this version:

Version information for SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 - 14.1.10016.54660 displayed at the bottom of the program window.

One of our linguist is having the same problem with this version:

Some of my colleagues have
and it runs without problems.
This problem is new, so we suspect it is a problem with the later versions. Can you fix the bug urgently, or can we downgrade to a fully functional version?
This is rather urgent!
thanks

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 11:17 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
emoji
Parents Reply
  • No, I haven't reset Trados. Would this still be needed after this answer? Thanks.

I think Steve was probably guessing based on the mention in the stack trace.  I think you should do two things:

1. Make sure you are fully updated to the latest version of 2017

2. If you already are or if it still fails after that run a reset

You said this:

some people can and others can't preview the original file

So in this case it's clear the problem lies with your installation.  I'm not sure what you are previewing exactly but I think Steve is confusing the XML preview which will not be possible for you as the files are coming from WorldServer first.  Perhaps the update will reset your WorldServer components and resolve this for you.

You could also try manually fixing that part by running this:

c:\ProgramData\Package Cache\SDL\SDLTradosStudio2017_SR1\modules\WorldServerComponents.msi

Children