Shortcut CTRL+Z (undo) not working

The shortcut CTRL+Z stops working when I open multiple files in Studio 2019. Again. And again.

Although I've been told by the support, that this well known bug will finally be fixed with SR2 - after many, many years. I meet this bug since 2015.

Is there FINALLY a solution, how to remove this bug?

EDIT:

In the "old version" this bug could be temporarily fixed by copying a word into the concordance search field and providing the search. Then it worked again for while.

Now I have to close all open files and to open a single one again.

This is really annoying.

Parents
  • Dear Adrian and others,

Until this morning I had not read about this issue nor had I read any of this exchange. Clearly, for you Adrian, this is a very emotive issue and I understand your frustration as well as I understand Paul Filkin's attempts to understand the problem. Like many others on this forum, I have been in intermittent contact with Paul since the launch of Studio 2009 in July 2009 - what fun we had in those days, I can tell you! I almost blush to think of some of the things I wrote to him back then.

My reason for writing this message and for appearing to contribute to this debate is simply to try to understand what is happening. I must say that after reading the exchanges, I am no closer to understanding what is happening. If I press my Alt key to bring up the single letter codes (as in your screenshot) to operate the menus, pressing 2 provides me with the list of available Undo operations. However, after pressing the Alt key, when I press Ctrl+Z for Undo, my computer beeps to tell me I have made an error and cannot use the function in this way.

I would also add that, for me, Undo works in Studio, has always worked in Studio, and is working now in Studio (fully updated version running on Windows 10 Pro). Over the nearly-11 years of using Studio, I have been part of many forums (Yahoo, ProZ, previous SDL and now this Community). I generally use standard set up of my software (Windows, Studio, etc.) while making use of built-in options to customise, such as appearance of folders, colours, SDL appstore apps  really just the software-based tweaks. I have observed many problems reported by others in these forums and frequently learn that, when more details are revealed, the users are significantly modifying their PC set up. This might extend from using AutoHotKey (a minor modification in the grand scheme of things) to working with partitions, virtual machines, other operating systems (for which Studio is not specifically written) and other more exotic (to me) configurations. 

My point is that the options for possible configurations are endless. While generally compatible, it will always be possible for any user to contrive a configuration or combination of software running at the same time to generate conflicts in the PC operating system that have an adverse effect on one or more of the programs running. If ever you have the opportunity to do so, try working with Studio in an 'out of the box' installation on a new PC with Windows 10 as supplied and configured and with nothing else installed. I think you will find the Undo / Ctrl+Z will work, as well as everything else in Studio.

If you cannot define clearly the conditions under which you experience this 'bug', it will not be possible for Paul to reproduce it. So far, you have not done so and he has been unable to do so.

Finally, please let me emphasise that, if it is not clear to you from his messages, Paul Filkin is on your side and wants to help. While he remains an amazing source of support for us users, I sometimes imagine he must be a thorn in the side of some SDL senior management! Power to your elbow, Paul.

With kind regards and the hope this will get sorted out to your satisfaction.
    Dr Simon Cole

• Dear Adrian and others,

Until this morning I had not read about this issue nor had I read any of this exchange. Clearly, for you Adrian, this is a very emotive issue and I understand your frustration as well as I understand Paul Filkin's attempts to understand the problem. Like many others on this forum, I have been in intermittent contact with Paul since the launch of Studio 2009 in July 2009 - what fun we had in those days, I can tell you! I almost blush to think of some of the things I wrote to him back then.

My reason for writing this message and for appearing to contribute to this debate is simply to try to understand what is happening. I must say that after reading the exchanges, I am no closer to understanding what is happening. If I press my Alt key to bring up the single letter codes (as in your screenshot) to operate the menus, pressing 2 provides me with the list of available Undo operations. However, after pressing the Alt key, when I press Ctrl+Z for Undo, my computer beeps to tell me I have made an error and cannot use the function in this way.

I would also add that, for me, Undo works in Studio, has always worked in Studio, and is working now in Studio (fully updated version running on Windows 10 Pro). Over the nearly-11 years of using Studio, I have been part of many forums (Yahoo, ProZ, previous SDL and now this Community). I generally use standard set up of my software (Windows, Studio, etc.) while making use of built-in options to customise, such as appearance of folders, colours, SDL appstore apps  really just the software-based tweaks. I have observed many problems reported by others in these forums and frequently learn that, when more details are revealed, the users are significantly modifying their PC set up. This might extend from using AutoHotKey (a minor modification in the grand scheme of things) to working with partitions, virtual machines, other operating systems (for which Studio is not specifically written) and other more exotic (to me) configurations. 

My point is that the options for possible configurations are endless. While generally compatible, it will always be possible for any user to contrive a configuration or combination of software running at the same time to generate conflicts in the PC operating system that have an adverse effect on one or more of the programs running. If ever you have the opportunity to do so, try working with Studio in an 'out of the box' installation on a new PC with Windows 10 as supplied and configured and with nothing else installed. I think you will find the Undo / Ctrl+Z will work, as well as everything else in Studio.

If you cannot define clearly the conditions under which you experience this 'bug', it will not be possible for Paul to reproduce it. So far, you have not done so and he has been unable to do so.

Finally, please let me emphasise that, if it is not clear to you from his messages, Paul Filkin is on your side and wants to help. While he remains an amazing source of support for us users, I sometimes imagine he must be a thorn in the side of some SDL senior management! Power to your elbow, Paul.

With kind regards and the hope this will get sorted out to your satisfaction.
    Dr Simon Cole

Children