SDL Studio 2021 Freelance - Quick TMX import into project settings

Hello, I just installed the new (German) 2021 version and came across a possible loss. I would like to open a new TM within a specific project.

In the frame "Start" - "project settings" (Projekteinstellungen) - "All language pairs" (Alle Sprachpaare) - "Translation Memorys and machine Translation" I would like to open a new TM.

So I go to "Use" (Verwenden...) - "Databased Translation Memory" (Datenbasiertes Translation Memory).

Here I can select only ".sdltm" files!

In the 2019 version here I could also select TMX files which were easly transformed in a ready to use TM. Isn´t that possible anymore, or did this beautiful quick import function just moved to another place?

Thanks for your answers!

Jan

Dropdown menu showing file type selection limited to Translation Memorys (*.sdltm) in Trados Studio 2021.(2021)  Dropdown menu from Trados Studio 2019 showing multiple file type options including TMX files (*.tmx) for Translation Memorys.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 7:42 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
emoji
Parents
  • In addition, I cannot find the 'Upgrade Translation Memories' feature.
    Where is it now?
    Screenshot of Trados Studio 2021 interface with question marks indicating missing 'Upgrade Translation Memories' feature.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
  • In the release notes you'll see that some features have been removed to slim down the size of the application.  They were removed because the telemetry showed us they are really not used a lot.  The upgrade capability (that I also liked!) was part of this.

However, you can put it back by downloading and installing this:

SDL Trados AppStore page showing the SDL Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack available for download.

Just type "power" into the search in the appstore integration, download the app, and then click here:

Notification indicating download completion with an arrow pointing to 'Go to your AppStore Downloads folder and launch the app installers.'

You'll find the zip containing the installer in this folder alongside all the other non-sdlplugin apps that require manual installation.  So then close Studio, then unzip and run the installer:

File Explorer window with a list of downloaded files including 'StudioPowerTool_v5.0.0.0.zip' highlighted.

You'll note it was quite a large download, and hopefully you also noticed how much better the installation process was for Studio 2021 without it.  Based on the usage stats I think it's a small price to pay for the benefit of the majority of users who don't use this feature at all.

Once complete you should have this feature back:

Close-up of the 'Download' button with a callout saying 'Over here on the end...' pointing to it.

On the QuickUpgrade... I'm afraid this is lost altogether.  It apparently had more difficulties to integrate as a separate application so it's been lost completely.  So you don't see this anymore:

Upgrade Translation Memories window in Trados Studio with options for 'Quick Upgrade' and 'Custom Upgrade'.

The workaround will be to do this as a separate exercise.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
  • In the release notes you'll see that some features have been removed to slim down the size of the application.  They were removed because the telemetry showed us they are really not used a lot.  The upgrade capability (that I also liked!) was part of this.

However, you can put it back by downloading and installing this:

SDL Trados AppStore page showing the SDL Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack available for download.

Just type "power" into the search in the appstore integration, download the app, and then click here:

Notification indicating download completion with an arrow pointing to 'Go to your AppStore Downloads folder and launch the app installers.'

You'll find the zip containing the installer in this folder alongside all the other non-sdlplugin apps that require manual installation.  So then close Studio, then unzip and run the installer:

File Explorer window with a list of downloaded files including 'StudioPowerTool_v5.0.0.0.zip' highlighted.

You'll note it was quite a large download, and hopefully you also noticed how much better the installation process was for Studio 2021 without it.  Based on the usage stats I think it's a small price to pay for the benefit of the majority of users who don't use this feature at all.

Once complete you should have this feature back:

Close-up of the 'Download' button with a callout saying 'Over here on the end...' pointing to it.

On the QuickUpgrade... I'm afraid this is lost altogether.  It apparently had more difficulties to integrate as a separate application so it's been lost completely.  So you don't see this anymore:

Upgrade Translation Memories window in Trados Studio with options for 'Quick Upgrade' and 'Custom Upgrade'.

The workaround will be to do this as a separate exercise.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
Children