Object reference not set to an instance of an object - adding an entry to Termbase

Hi There,

As per subject, when I attempt to add an entry to Termbase, I get the following error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I've checked some of the other posts here but have not been able to locate a solution.

Please help!

Best,

Cathal

• Hello ,

Such an error message doesn't tell us anything about the cause of an issue as this is very generic.

As in all cases, Its recommended that you always post the full error stack as this can be useful and tell us exactly what versions of Studio/MultiTerm you are using (Help- About)-

Error message popup in Trados Studio with instructions: 1) Click on the icon, 2) Save the XML file to your desktop, 3) Add file to the thread.

Lydia Simplicio | RWS Group

_______
    Design your own training!

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 12:53 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • Hi Steven Whale,

Please excuse my delay in replying. Although I've had Trados for a couple of years, I have only used it a handful of times and I wanted to attempt to resolve the issue myself by watching some more tutorial vids etc.

I've built up my own glossaries and translation memories over the years in Wordfast which I now wish to use in Trados.

I've converted my personal glossary using the Glossary Converter app into a tb file and created a Termbase using Multiterm within Trados. However, when I add this Termbase to my project upon project creation, when in project view, I see "no termbase added".

The error stack I'm attaching herein, is the error I see when I attempt to add a term to the term base by right click + Add new Term. I hope you can help as it's super frustrating to not be able to access any of my terms!

<SDLErrorDetails time="05/02/2021 16:17:01">
      <ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>Sdl.MultiTerm.Core.Common</Source>
        <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at Sdl.MultiTerm.Core.Common.DataContainers.TermbaseStatus..ctor(ITermbaseInfo info)
       at Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.MiniEditor.MiniEditorControl..ctor(ITermbaseInfo activeTermbase, ITermHit activeTerm)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.TermbaseViewer.MultiTermViewerWinFormsUI.AddTerm(ITermbaseInfo termbaseInfo, String source, String target)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.TermbaseViewer.MultiTermViewerWinFormsUI.AddTerm(String source, String target)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.TermbaseViewer.TermBaseViewPartX.TerminologyProviderViewerAddTerm(String source, String target)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.TermbaseViewer.TermBaseViewPartX.AddTerm(ITerminologyProvider termbase, String source, String target)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.EditorTermbaseUtils.AddTerm(IEditorService editorService, ITranslatableDocument translatableDocument, String sourceText, String targetText)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.Actions.AbstractAddNewTermAction.AddTerm()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.Actions.QuickAddNewTerm.Execute()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.StaticAction.Execute()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.<>c__DisplayClass30_0.<ExecuteAction>b__0()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Logger.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteAction(IAction action, ActionOrigin origin, Boolean allowToggle)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgCommandBarAction.Execute()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgCommandBarAction._lazyButtonTool_ToolClick(Object sender, ToolClickEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ToolBase.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.FireEvent(ToolbarEventIds id, EventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ToolBase.OnToolClick()
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ToolMenuItem.OnClick()
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuItemUIElement.DoClickProcessing(MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuItemUIElement.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.TextUIElementBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUpHelper(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUp(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.Utilities.ProcessEvent(Control control, ProcessEvent eventToProcess, EventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupControlBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>15.0.0.0</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>15.1.0.44109</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Home</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>3082</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>CATHALS-LAPTOP\email</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>CATHALS-LAPTOP</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>16498572 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

Best,

Cathal

• I'd first update Trados Studio. The option Help > About Trados Studio should show SDL Trados Studio 2019 SR2 - 15.2.8.3007

Then check that MultiTerm is updated as well. The option Help > About MultiTerm should show SDL MultiTerm 2019 - 15.0.56482

And check if the problem is solved. Otherwise check also the the Glossary Converter version with latest plugin in https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/glossary-converter/195/ , and try again.

• Amazing, it now seems to work ok. Such a simple solution. Thank you Jesús Slight smile