Object reference not set to an instance of an object - adding an entry to Termbase

Hi There,

As per subject, when I attempt to add an entry to Termbase, I get the following error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I've checked some of the other posts here but have not been able to locate a solution.

Please help!

Best,

Cathal

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Steven Whale,

Please excuse my delay in replying. Although I've had Trados for a couple of years, I have only used it a handful of times and I wanted to attempt to resolve the issue myself by watching some more tutorial vids etc.

I've built up my own glossaries and translation memories over the years in Wordfast which I now wish to use in Trados.

I've converted my personal glossary using the Glossary Converter app into a tb file and created a Termbase using Multiterm within Trados. However, when I add this Termbase to my project upon project creation, when in project view, I see "no termbase added".

The error stack I'm attaching herein, is the error I see when I attempt to add a term to the term base by right click + Add new Term. I hope you can help as it's super frustrating to not be able to access any of my terms!

<SDLErrorDetails time="05/02/2021 16:17:01">
      <ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>Sdl.MultiTerm.Core.Common</Source>
        <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at Sdl.MultiTerm.Core.Common.DataContainers.TermbaseStatus..ctor(ITermbaseInfo info)
       at Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.MiniEditor.MiniEditorControl..ctor(ITermbaseInfo activeTermbase, ITermHit activeTerm)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.TermbaseViewer.MultiTermViewerWinFormsUI.AddTerm(ITermbaseInfo termbaseInfo, String source, String target)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.TermbaseViewer.MultiTermViewerWinFormsUI.AddTerm(String source, String target)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.TermbaseViewer.TermBaseViewPartX.TerminologyProviderViewerAddTerm(String source, String target)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.TermbaseViewer.TermBaseViewPartX.AddTerm(ITerminologyProvider termbase, String source, String target)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.EditorTermbaseUtils.AddTerm(IEditorService editorService, ITranslatableDocument translatableDocument, String sourceText, String targetText)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.Actions.AbstractAddNewTermAction.AddTerm()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Terminology.Actions.QuickAddNewTerm.Execute()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.StaticAction.Execute()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.<>c__DisplayClass30_0.<ExecuteAction>b__0()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Logger.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteAction(IAction action, ActionOrigin origin, Boolean allowToggle)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgCommandBarAction.Execute()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgCommandBarAction._lazyButtonTool_ToolClick(Object sender, ToolClickEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ToolBase.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.FireEvent(ToolbarEventIds id, EventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ToolBase.OnToolClick()
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ToolMenuItem.OnClick()
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuItemUIElement.DoClickProcessing(MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuItemUIElement.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.TextUIElementBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUpHelper(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUp(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.Utilities.ProcessEvent(Control control, ProcessEvent eventToProcess, EventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupControlBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>15.0.0.0</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>15.1.0.44109</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Home</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>3082</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>CATHALS-LAPTOP\email</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>CATHALS-LAPTOP</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>16498572 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

Best,

Cathal

• I'd first update Trados Studio. The option Help > About Trados Studio should show SDL Trados Studio 2019 SR2 - 15.2.8.3007

Then check that MultiTerm is updated as well. The option Help > About MultiTerm should show SDL MultiTerm 2019 - 15.0.56482

And check if the problem is solved. Otherwise check also the the Glossary Converter version with latest plugin in https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/glossary-converter/195/ , and try again.

• Amazing, it now seems to work ok. Such a simple solution. Thank you Jesús Slight smile