Variables not "sticking"

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a problem with variables not getting saved to TMs? I keep trying to add two variables and they are simply not getting saved. When I close the Variables window, they're not getting recognized and when I go in to check they're there, they are gone from the list. This is happening with several TMs.

Parents
  • Hi  ,

Same here and with a few TMs. Sometimes variables are added to the list, not recognised, and then the variable is gone from the list. Sometimes, the variable is there, but not recognised after re-indexing.

I tried repairing the TM, Wordbird app doesn't help either.

The only thing that works is to export all the variables list as a TXT file, delete them all (Rest to defaults), re-index the TM, import the previously saved variables list, and re-index again. All the variables are then recognized, but new added variables are still not recognized. No this is not really a workaround…

I’m thinking of exporting the TM to a TMX and importing the content to a new TM. Apart from this, I’m running out of ideas…

Any way to make variables working?

: Do you know if developers are looking into this?

emoji
  • Hi  ,

Same here and with a few TMs. Sometimes variables are added to the list, not recognised, and then the variable is gone from the list. Sometimes, the variable is there, but not recognised after re-indexing.

I tried repairing the TM, Wordbird app doesn't help either.

The only thing that works is to export all the variables list as a TXT file, delete them all (Rest to defaults), re-index the TM, import the previously saved variables list, and re-index again. All the variables are then recognized, but new added variables are still not recognized. No this is not really a workaround…

I’m thinking of exporting the TM to a TMX and importing the content to a new TM. Apart from this, I’m running out of ideas…

Any way to make variables working?

: Do you know if developers are looking into this?

emoji
Children
  •  

I took a look through the database and the only one I can find is this one - LG-28256.  I mention the number so we can easily find it again as needed!  This one relates to this:

"Change for custom Variables/Abbreviation/Segmentation Rules list in file-based TM is not saved when modified from TM Settings via New Project wizard or Project Settings"

If this is the issue can you confirm what versions you are using?

The workaround seems to be to modify and save the "Variable" entry from the TM setting page accessed from the TM opened in the Translation Memory view. Does that work for you?

They will not give you any answer. They simply don't care.

Clearly not true, no need to say things like that.  It's easy to miss replies if users don't use the features in the community to help us.  Every time someone answers they can use the "suggested answer" check box.  If this happens then the method most of us in RWS use is to filter on the questions when we spend time in here and find the unanswered questions... and try to help by answering them. In fact last month we actually implemented a new feature in the community so that group owners are emailed a list of the unanswered questions so thy can try and make sure nothing goes unanswered.

In this thread   replied and checked it as a suggested answer!  So I certainly would never see this thread again.  It's simple for the original poster to say... no it didn't answer my question when prompted and the thread remains unanswered.  But that didn't happen here and we're not mind readers.

I did see it when Jesús tagged me though.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Hi ,

Thanks for looking into it.

If this is the issue can you confirm what versions you are using?

Kind of... As mentioned above, sometimes variables were not saved in Trados Studio CU4, but my main issue is that last variables added and that I see in the variables list are not recognized. I’m using Trados Studio 2022 (17.0.5.14757).

The workaround seems to be to modify and save the "Variable" entry from the TM setting page accessed from the TM opened in the Translation Memory view. Does that work for you?

Adding a variable from the Translation Memory View and re-indexing doesn’t work in Trados Studio 2022 CU5: I open a document in Editor and I can see the new variable in the TM just added before, but it’s not recognized in Source. It didn’t work either with the previous Trados build (CU4).

emoji
  •  

Thank you.  I'm going to update the currently open item with this detail and ensure it's known the problem occurs in 2022.  The dev team can decide if this is a different problem or not and then I'll share the new number as needed.  If I get an update in the meantime I'll come back here and share it.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji