When copying text containing tags and pasting it to another appllication (e.g. Excel) the tags are missing from the text

PROBLEM:

When I need to copy text containing tags from Trados Studio into another application (e.g. into an Excel document for translation evaluation reports) the tags are missing from the pasted text.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open a file containing tags.

2. Copy a segment conatining tags.

3. Open Notepad application.

4. Paste the copied text into the Notepad document.

EXPECTED RESULT:

The pasted text contains the tags.

CURRENT (ERRATIC) RESULT:

The tags are missing from the pasted text.

FEATURE REQUEST:

Please make it an option for copied text containing tags to be pasted into other applications so that the tags appear in the pasted text too.

emoji
  • I have finished my PlugIns.

You've missed this simple point.
    When Tags has "Table" or "HyperLink", Your solution shows only "Numbers". In some cases that is..nothing, useless or even Dangerous. Right ?
    People want to know what is that exactly.

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing a document with highlighted text indicating 'Table 1.1' and 'Hyperlink' tags, with a warning about only 'Numbers' being displayed instead of full tag content.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 6:34 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • Paul,

In one of my fields of expertise (user interface localization), several vendors are using special tags in their content.

Such special tags may represent UI elements. So instead of writing the actual name of the UI element in the source text they just insert a special tag into the text. See an example string below:

"Tap <ui_ref="..\..\..\strings\ui_resource.xml#resource_repository/UI_111111"></ui_ref> option to enable this feature." (Where the "UI_111111" part represents the UI element that will be inserted in the place of the tag.)

In Hungarian we must use definitive articles in front of nouns. We have two definitive articles to choose from: "a" and "az" (both meaning "the").

The definitive article to be used is determined by the pronunciation of the first letter of the word following it. See the examples below:

EN: "The sea."
    HU: "A tenger." (Letter "t" is pronunced as a consonant, so we use article "a" in front of it.)

EN: "The industry."
    HU: "Az ipar." (Letter "i" is pronounced as a vowel, so we use article "az" in front of it.)

When translating text containing special tags mentioned above, the vendor provides a list containing the actual meanings of various <UI_xxxxxx> tag elements, usually in an Excel sheet:

UI element English Hungarian
    UI_111111 Enable Engedélyezés
    UI_222222 Open Megnyitás
    UI_333333 Close Bezárás

So the correct translation of the example string mentioned above will be:

"Koppintson az <ui_ref="..\..\..\strings\ui_resource.xml#resource_repository/UI_111111"></ui_ref> lehetőségre a funkció engedélyezéséhez."

Which will appear as:

"Koppintson az Engedélyezés lehetőségre a funkció engedélyezéséhez."
    "Tap the Enable option to enable this feature."

So when translating, reviewing or QA reporting a translation job, I need to know the actual content of a tag. When seeing only numbered tags, I cannot decide whether if the preceding article is correct or not.

In Trados editor with Full Tags enabled, I can see the content of the tags. (If it is not too long, because the end of the very long tags cannot be seen on the screen, because the tag text does not wrap to the width of the editor window. And these UI elements are usually at the end of very long tags which can only be seen by displaying the tooltip by hovering the mouse pointer over the tag in question. And good luck with finding appropriate UI element identifiers in a very long tooltip before the tooltip disappear... ;-) (Not to mention that I hate tooltips because they always appear unintentionally covering text to be translated. The only reason I keep tooltips turned on is to check the content of very long tooltips in Trados.)

But when reporting issues in someone else's translation during QA phase, I cannot copy the tag I have issues with into the report from the Trados editor and I cannot export it either.

I am not sure if there are any other use cases for other languages where copying tag contents would be needed, but for Hungarian it is a major pain.

So I probably need to check Kelly's plugin if I do not want to type the tag contents manually into my QA reports.

emoji