PDF file

Hi,

I recently got a PDF file for translation. I use Trados studio 2021. Anyhow I try, I cannot convert it into .xliff. I have the process how to do it, but it just does not convert. When I press preview, it brings up special characters(that are not in the original file) and only a part of the document. 
Is it something I do incorrectly, or is there a secret to it?

Thank you for your ideas.

emoji
Parents
  • Dealing with PDF is a demanding job. And unfortunately, expecting ANY software to be able to automatically convert a PDF and do a perfect job is simply asking for a lot of trouble. If you search on Google for PDF and translation, you'll find thousands of pages describing all the same problem: it does not work. The only reasonable way to deal with PDF is using a decent OCR software to manually convert the PDF controlling the whole process and deciding (again: manually), what is text or what is table or picture and how the text has to be placed on the page. Next to that you need to open the converted file and correct remaining formatting issues to make sure the translation process will not end with double the page number of the source... Or you have someone doing this preparation for you. Relying on Studio (any other CAT) is not the proper way, even though the CAT vendors promise wonder.

emoji
  • Dealing with PDF is a demanding job. And unfortunately, expecting ANY software to be able to automatically convert a PDF and do a perfect job is simply asking for a lot of trouble. If you search on Google for PDF and translation, you'll find thousands of pages describing all the same problem: it does not work. The only reasonable way to deal with PDF is using a decent OCR software to manually convert the PDF controlling the whole process and deciding (again: manually), what is text or what is table or picture and how the text has to be placed on the page. Next to that you need to open the converted file and correct remaining formatting issues to make sure the translation process will not end with double the page number of the source... Or you have someone doing this preparation for you. Relying on Studio (any other CAT) is not the proper way, even though the CAT vendors promise wonder.

emoji
Children