This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Progress display in files

Since I updated Trados, the progress shown in the progress column in files view is wrong. 

Is there anything I can do to have the correct progress shown?

Or is there some new algorithm that calculates the progress and can I chose somewhere the formula for it?

Thank you!

[locked by: Paul at 7:29 AM (GMT 1) on 19 Oct 2022]
emoji
  •  

No amount of complaining about this is going to support your case.  There are hardly any users who are upset about this... at least it seems we can count them on one hand.  Please explain why you cannot use the confirmation statistics tab at the bottom to see the details you want n the way you want them?

If there were many users upset then I'm sure the product management team would reconsider, or perhaps plan in some work to accommodate both points of view.  But given the new way is actually a more accurate view of the real completion of a file and not just the wordcount, this is unlikely to change without a very good reason to do it.

Please, just listen to the many people arguing

Define "many people" seeing as you have made this claim?

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • I absolutely consider that this statement "the new way is actually a more accurate view of the real completion of a file and not just the wordcount" is personal to you and untrue to me!

My last post earlier today demonstrates how misleading it is, when 30% or segments = 2% of words in a real case.

I can actually use and see my progress by Words on one file or on the set of files opened in the editor, but I cannot use this view to monitor my work as I have often on my docket more than one file or a set of files in the editor to work on and the Files View where it is off by a lot.

The Files view is my daily dashboard and must reflect the way I work, not something else (I call this consistency). 

I work with this software like anybody else to earn a living by the number words I translate and the progress I want to see more often are in the Files view, not in the editor.

Progress by segments is from a totally artificial view created for practical reasons and is NOT a measure of your work,

I noticed that the Manager (beta) is (hopefully) measuring progress by Words.
          Why would the Files view not doing the same?
         This would be a very good reason, for consistency. Right?

I need consistency to keep my brain focused at work. 

I am still flabbergasted you did this change and uncredulous you would not address my request and go back to the statu quo ante bellum and give to all of us the choice to get the Files view indicator by Words we always have (for the sake of consistency)

emoji
  • I am still flabbergasted you did this change and uncredulous you would not address my request and go back to the statu quo ante bellum and give to all of us the choice to get the Files view indicator by Words we always have (for the sake of consistency)

I'm too. And I miss any approval of the stupid change (except Paul's, the other one). He can't have won much praise for it.

emoji
  •   

ok - given neither of you, nor anyone else, is going to answer my simple question on why you cannot use of of the other methods for seeing at a glance the wordcount... and given we seem to have three users from all of our Studio base who seem to agree with you:

Screenshot of a Trados Studio feedback forum with a post titled 'Please go back to Progress Bar focusing on words not segments' with 3 upvotes, marked as 'Under Community Review'.

I doubt you will ever see any change.

Just ranting and repeating yourself without providing any good reason why you can't use the existing features in the software for this purpose, or debating this rationally in the idea itself, means you are very unlikely to get any attention or be taken seriously.

So here's the link to the idea:

Please go back to Progress Bar focusing on words not segments 

Here's a link to an article explaining the different ways in which you can use the software:

https://multifarious.filkin.com/2022/08/28/cant-see-the-wood-for-the-trees/

And I'm going to lock this thread for further comment.  If you want a change then please treat this seriously and do these two things:

1. use the idea where the product manager will be able to assess whether a change is needed or not
    2. explain in the ideas thread why you cannot reasonably use the other mechanisms to achieve what you want

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 8:43 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  •       

We are running some one on one online sessions with our development team to get some direct feedback on the new Manager view in Trados Studio 2022 and this topic sits quite nicely in there.  So if you're interested in making sure your opinion is considered you can apply for the opportunity here: Trados Studio Manager View - Feedback Opportunity 

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji