Scaling for 4k in 2022

I just upgraded from Trados Studio 2021 Freelance Plus to 2022 Freelance Plus. Unfortunately, 2022 STILL doesn't support 4k resolution (how is this possible in 2022?), and the third-party "Change Scaling Behaviour" app in the appstore that fixed the problem has not been updated for 2022. Does anyone know a solution for this?

emoji
Parents
  • I have a suggestion that might improve your experience with Studio 2022 on a 4K display. Below are the settings that I used for my end for a 4k screen. This is not perfect, but for now it seems to be working rather fine.

You need to right click your Trados icon, choose Properties and then go straight to the Compatibility tab. There select the following setting (sorry, my Windows is in Polish, but you should be able to find the corresponding option in your system as well):

Compatibility settings window for Trados Studio 2022 showing 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8' selected.

AND also select the "Change high resolution DPI settings" (or something similar in English) to look like that (Replace high resolution DPI scaling and choose System).

High DPI settings window for SDLTradosStudio.exe with 'Override high DPI scaling behavior' checked and scaling performed by 'System'. 

Then apply changes, do not change anything in the last setting "for all users". Just accept and restart your system (this step is important; without restarting my Studio began doing weird things scaling-wise). Now my Studio looks like that with proper scaling and no blurring. I really hope this helps Slight smile

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 11:32 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • Wow—this works! Thumbsup I changed my Windows settings as you described and disabled the third-party "Change Scaling Behaviour" add-in, and the effect is the same: proper 4k scaling! Mateusz, you should be working for Trados Support, since you're smarter than anyone I've ever encountered there!

I'll try once again to upgrade (finally) to 2022 with the hopes that this will work there as well.

For anyone else following this thread, here are the English-language Windows dialog boxes. Right-click on Studio/MultiTerm icon, select Properties, then configure as follows:

Screenshot of MultiTerm 2021 Desktop Properties window with Compatibility tab selected, showing 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8' checked.

Then click the Change high DPI settings box near the bottom and configure as follows:

Screenshot of High DPI settings for SDLTradosStudio.exe, with 'Override high DPI scaling behavior' checked and 'Scaling performed by: System' selected.

Confirm and reboot.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
  • Wow—this works! Thumbsup I changed my Windows settings as you described and disabled the third-party "Change Scaling Behaviour" add-in, and the effect is the same: proper 4k scaling! Mateusz, you should be working for Trados Support, since you're smarter than anyone I've ever encountered there!

I'll try once again to upgrade (finally) to 2022 with the hopes that this will work there as well.

For anyone else following this thread, here are the English-language Windows dialog boxes. Right-click on Studio/MultiTerm icon, select Properties, then configure as follows:

Screenshot of MultiTerm 2021 Desktop Properties window with Compatibility tab selected, showing 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8' checked.

Then click the Change high DPI settings box near the bottom and configure as follows:

Screenshot of High DPI settings for SDLTradosStudio.exe, with 'Override high DPI scaling behavior' checked and 'Scaling performed by: System' selected.

Confirm and reboot.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
Children