Scaling for 4k in 2022

I just upgraded from Trados Studio 2021 Freelance Plus to 2022 Freelance Plus. Unfortunately, 2022 STILL doesn't support 4k resolution (how is this possible in 2022?), and the third-party "Change Scaling Behaviour" app in the appstore that fixed the problem has not been updated for 2022. Does anyone know a solution for this?

emoji
  •  

Can you share what part of the software is giving you the problems.  The conversion of all the components to WPF instead of Winforms which is needed to properly support 4k is an ongoing process and each release gets a little closer to providing better support all round.

fyi.

emoji
  • Below is a screenshot in which I've highlighted some of the problematic elements, mostly around the perimeter: Windows-generated minimize/restore/close buttons on the top right, Quick Launch Bar top left, Navigation Pane text and icons along the left (whether minimized or expanded), drop-down box widths in the bottom pane.

Note that I'm using default settings for both my monitors, and that NO other application has this problem.

Trados Studio interface with problematic elements highlighted: Windows minimizerestoreclose buttons, Quick Launch Bar, Navigation Pane, and drop-down box widths., etc.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 11:31 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • Well, I can confirm that this problem STILL persists, even though it is past the middle of 2023. This is a joke. I purchased a 4k screen computer and now I cannot even work properly in Trados. That is not to mention that it STILL is a 32-bit system, that does not support anything north of 3 GB of RAM. Which is a joke, since Trados crashes on my computer regularly.

This a question to the developers: Have you guys heard of modern technology or do you just release new versions without even addressing the elephant in the room that probably almost everybody has to or will have to deal with in the near future?

emoji
  • I purchased a 4k screen computer and now I cannot even work properly in Trados.

Why? You can magnify the font in the Editor to whatever size you want. I have a 13" laptop with a resolution of 3840×2400 plus an extra 13" screen with 3840×2160 when on the road and can work with Studio without bigger problems. Of course I do also miss some options to magnify other parts in the editor, but still Studio is workable on such systems.

As per 32 bit I would advice to read comments by I work a lot with Studio and the crashes are extremely rare.

emoji
  • Jerzy, this has nothing to do with the size of the Editor font. Read this thread from the top, and look at the screenshot. This is a big glaring problem, and an embarrassment for a program with "2022" in the title. I am still using the 2021 version for this reason.

emoji
  • Of course, you can magnify and scale certain things, but Studio does not seem to support such things out of the box. As an experienced linguist and a technology user, I can manually configure such things, no problem (or not much of a problem, at least). BUT, if my employees have the same issue, I need to devote time to configure each system manually. And why should I? Can't Trados Studio simply detect the screen's resolution and scale accordingly? For a 4k screen, the out-of-the-box experience is terrible—icons are either tiny or scaled and blurry (without experimenting with certain Windows scaling options). Also, I do have a system with two displays, each 4K, but also each with a different resolution (Asus ZenBook Duo with dual screens)—working with Trados Studio on this laptop began as a nightmare before I figured out what to do and what not to do (no switching screens with Studio open etc.).
    As per 32 bit—perhaps crashes are extremely rare. In Paul's case. In mine, not so much. My Trados Studio 2022 Professional tends to throw error messages (various kinds) whenever too many projects are open or when the open project is too large. Then it just shuts down - sometimes a few times per day. Or when I try to create a new project for my team while simultaneously working on a translation assignment on my own - immediate crash. No matter if I reinstall Studio, get a clean Windows install and a new Studio install - the same thing happens quickly with more advanced projects and ESPECIALLY multitasking. Most error messages do mention the "out of memory" category of errors. And I have 64GB of RAM on my end... This has been the case for the past few versions of Studio, on various computers.

This software has bugs. Lots of them, and most of them are copied and pasted over from legacy versions into the new ones, without even solving them. 64-bits would solve a lot of them, since this is an architecture used for close to 20 years now. In IT this is an eternity.  

Nothing can really change my mind about the disadvantages of Studio at this point—I have been a loyal user since Studio 2011 and GS14, so I know pretty well that the problems I mentioned existed even then. Disappointed

emoji
  •  

Check your graphics driver or other settings. Here is how Studio looks like on my laptop with over 4K resolution:

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface on a laptop with over 4K resolution, showing no visible errors or warnings.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 11:31 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  • I have a suggestion that might improve your experience with Studio 2022 on a 4K display. Below are the settings that I used for my end for a 4k screen. This is not perfect, but for now it seems to be working rather fine.

You need to right click your Trados icon, choose Properties and then go straight to the Compatibility tab. There select the following setting (sorry, my Windows is in Polish, but you should be able to find the corresponding option in your system as well):

Compatibility settings window for Trados Studio 2022 showing 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8' selected.

AND also select the "Change high resolution DPI settings" (or something similar in English) to look like that (Replace high resolution DPI scaling and choose System).

High DPI settings window for SDLTradosStudio.exe with 'Override high DPI scaling behavior' checked and scaling performed by 'System'. 

Then apply changes, do not change anything in the last setting "for all users". Just accept and restart your system (this step is important; without restarting my Studio began doing weird things scaling-wise). Now my Studio looks like that with proper scaling and no blurring. I really hope this helps Slight smile

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 11:32 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  •  

I started to suppose, that possibly using Studio on localised Windows versions other than English or German in my case might be a cause for problems. None of the problems you describe appear here. And I do work and prepare projects at the same time. Currently I work on a project with two memoQ files of over 65k words in total. No crashes at all.

And I never changed any such settings which you show here.

emoji
  • That is an interesting point. If that were the case, that would be... concerning. I do hope, however, that this is SDL/RWS-related problem, not a Microsoft one ;).

emoji