How are default document folder paths set in Studio?

I did see a previous post titled "How are default project folder paths set in Studio?", but my problem is slightly different.

I work mostly out of single documents sent to me by customers that don’t even know about Trados Studio. So, I almost never work from a "project" point of view. Times and again, day in, day out, I open a single document for translation. But... the default folder is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Trados\Trados Studio\Studio17", where you have absolutely no chance to find any document. Even if I do know that once the application is launched, Studio remembers the folder where the last document was, it seems to me that this first default setting (C:\Program Files (x86)\Trados\Trados Studio\Studio17) should be changed (once and for all) to one’s personal "Documents" folder, which would be a sound and logical starting point to find documents to translate. Is there any solution?

emoji
  •  

I open a single document for translation. But... the default folder is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Trados\Trados Studio\Studio17"

Maybe worth clarifying... if you open a single file for translation as a single document translation then the project is always created in the same folder as the source file.

If you create a standard project, but only with a single file, then the project will be created based on the location of the project template you are using.  If you have not created any then it should be using the default template.  You can set the location for projects in the default by going to File -> Setup -> Project Templates, select the default and enter the path here under Project Template -> Project location:

Screenshot showing how to set the default path for projects in the default project template.

It may be empty as mine is, so setting it should correct your issue.

emoji
  • Some time ago, after reading the other thread, I did try this solution, with no good results. Then, after reading your reply, I tried it again. It worked... but it didn’t last a full 24 hours - the folder for « Open a document » kept on suggesting me the path of the last file I opened, even after exiting and relaunching the application. I find it quite frustrating with Trados Studio to experience a certain unstability in various functions (I’m still waiting for an answer from Lydia Simplicio about the customization of the ribbons/quick access toolbar). Here’s a screenshot of what I get as folder when I try to open a single document:

Screenshot of Trados Studio 'Open a document' dialog box showing the folder path of the last opened file instead of the default path.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 11:18 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  •  

I have no idea why it goes back to the programme folder.  I doubt you ever use that location anyway.

I also have no idea why the default location would get removed in your default template.  Presumably it has been removed?

It makes me think you are perhaps synching your folders where these templates are kept with OneDrive perhaps and you have a synching issue that is undoing the changes you made.  If you are using OneDrive consider not!

Otherwise the only advice I could give you is to set up a shortcut to copy the path to the file yo need to open.  I never even look where the files are from Studio when I'm using the same approach as yo.  I just select the source file, copy to shortcut and then paste it into the window I'm using to open the file as a single file translation.  It's fast and foolproof.

I know you'll probably think something needs to be fixed, but the fact you lasted a day and then it went back to the programme folder tells me there is something odd about your setup and your settings are getting overwritten by something on your machine.  I'd look there first.

emoji
  • Well, I guess it’ll remain a mystery, since the path is still there in my default template (J:\Jacques\Documents). Thanks anyway.

emoji
  •  

Out of interest what happens if you use a path on your C drive instead of this custom location?  Can you test it and see if it sticks longer?

emoji
  •  

Furthermore... now we know this piece of information about the way you're working it opens up discussion on more points to note.

When you try to set default paths and work on a computer with non-standard locations for documents, such as using a J drive instead of a C drive, you can sometimes encounter several issues. This is due to a variety of factors:

1. **Predefined Software Defaults:** A lot of software, including operating systems like Windows, has predefined default paths for storing and retrieving data. These defaults are typically set to standard locations like the C drive. Therefore, when you change the default path to a non-standard location, it might confuse the software and potentially cause it to malfunction. Trados Studio is definitely intended to work on the C drive.

2. **Compatibility Issues:** Trados Studio has not been built to support using a different drive as the default location. It has not been programmed to look for files in other places and could face issues when you attempt to change the default path to a non-standard location.

3. **Access and Permissions:** Drives other than the standard C drive might have different access and permission settings. If these settings are restrictive, it could prevent programs from saving or accessing data. Similarly, network drives can introduce issues related to network availability and permissions. OneDrive is a common case in point where users often think they are still working locally, but they're not.

4. **Physical Disconnection:** If your J drive is an external drive or network location, there could be problems if the drive is disconnected or the network goes down. Programs expecting to find data in these locations will fail to function correctly.

5. **Performance Variation:** Different drives can have different performance characteristics. If your J drive is slower than your C drive, then applications might run slower when they're using the J drive as their default location.

6. **Hard-Coded Paths:** It's possible that Trados Studio might have file paths hard-coded into its source code. This means that its programmed to look for certain files in specific locations, like the C drive, and will fail if those files are in a different location.

emoji
  • Thanks for this answer. I’ll look into this and let you know.

emoji