Search & replace multiple words/terms in pre-translated segments?

I often find myself doing multiple search & replace of the same words again and again in pre-translated segments and I'm thinking there's got to be a way to automate that somewhow, perhaps using a script. Any ideas?

emoji
Parents
  • Hello,

Absolutely, Trados Studio has a feature that can help you with this. It's called "MultiTerm Replace" and it allows you to replace multiple terms in one go. Here's how you can use it:

Step 1: Open your project in Trados Studio.

Step 2: Go to the "Review" tab.

Step 3: Click on "Search" in the "Editing" group.

Step 4: In the "Search" dialog box, click on the "Replace" tab.

Step 5: Enter the term you want to find in the "Search for" box.

Step 6: Enter the term you want to replace it with in the "Replace with" box.

Step 7: Click on "Add to List". This will add the pair to the list of terms to be replaced.

Step 8: Repeat steps 5 to 7 for all the terms you want to replace.

Step 9: Once you've added all the terms, click on "Replace All".

This will replace all instances of the terms in the list throughout your project. Please note that this feature is case-sensitive, so make sure to enter the terms exactly as they appear in your text.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

TradosAI

emoji
  • Excuse me, say what?!

I'm not seeing "Editing" in the Review tab, but I do have it in my Home tab:

Trados Studio Home tab showing options for Find, Replace, Select All, and Editing.

I'm not seeing "Search", and Find and Replace simply open the normal Find/Replace window:

Trados Studio Find and Replace window with tabs for Find and Replace, input fields for 'Find what:' and 'Replace with:', and various search options.

Not seeing an "Add to list" option here.

Can someone help me out? It sounds like an interesting feature.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 11:47 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  •   

Yes... I think this is a good example of the TradosAI hallucinating a little!

I reckon the best way to tackle this wold be with an AutoHotkey Script as you could then easily edit the list whenever you needed and trigger the search & replace to either work with a shortcut against a segment, or even via the standard replace all dialogue... although this would be asynchronous and possibly a little slow. But still better than a manual chore.

Otherwise it would make a neat plugin.  That would be the fastest and most reliable way to handle it.  There did used o be something like this on the appstore but the developer charged for it, and also stopped supporting it quite some years ago.  I actually don't think it would be that difficult to do either... if a developer has time and motivation to do it :-)

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  •   

Yes... I think this is a good example of the TradosAI hallucinating a little!

I reckon the best way to tackle this wold be with an AutoHotkey Script as you could then easily edit the list whenever you needed and trigger the search & replace to either work with a shortcut against a segment, or even via the standard replace all dialogue... although this would be asynchronous and possibly a little slow. But still better than a manual chore.

Otherwise it would make a neat plugin.  That would be the fastest and most reliable way to handle it.  There did used o be something like this on the appstore but the developer charged for it, and also stopped supporting it quite some years ago.  I actually don't think it would be that difficult to do either... if a developer has time and motivation to do it :-)

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
Children