Opening xlf files in Studio - sometimes it works, sometimes not. What could it be?

Dear all,

We regularly translate xlf files for one customer. But sometimes we are just not able to open them in Studio Professional 2022.

We get all kinds of error messages, like:

- hexadecimal value 0x02 is not valid

- the element named "xliff" is an unvalid child for the XliffProvider element

Does anybody have an idea what could be the problem?

Trados Studio Task Results window showing 0 errors and 6 warnings. Warnings include 'Pre-Scanning failed to identify the file type' and 'Pre-Scanning Error: hexadecimal value 0x02 is an invalid character.'

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 11:42 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
emoji
Parents Reply
  •   

will we be able to open the files do you think?

Well... I tried this.  FIrst I removed all these references with this regex:

xhtml:style="[^"]+?"

I just deleted everything this found.  There were 48 references in the file I tested.  Then it still failed... this time because there were invalid characters in the XLIFF.  This was the test... but Studio reported something similar:

XLIFF Manager error dialog box showing 'Fatal Error: 1:11581 An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x2) was found in the element content of the document.'

I can remove these with this expression:

\u0002

They look like this in the file:

Close-up of text with an invalid character represented by a blue highlighted question mark in a box.

There were only 4 so I replaced with a space.  Then I get this problem:

But... Studio can still open it and I could copy source to target and save the target file.  So I guess if you are diligent and can remove all the flaws in the files then yes... you will be able to handle them in Studio.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 3:17 PM (GMT 0) on 1 Mar 2024]
Children