APP "IRIS PDF OCR Support" doesn't work

Hello, yesterday I got crazy trying to translate a not editable PDF (result from the scan of a certificate). I watched a video tutorial on Trados web site and installed IRIS PDF OCR Support. The installation has been completed successfully but when I started to use it, it didn't work! The editor view comes out empty, as in the picture I attach. Can anyone hlep me? In the end, I wrote the document by hand in a word file but for future cases I would like to understand the problem. Quite often I have to transalte certificates and the clients send me the scanned document, that is a not editable PDF,so I need to know how to deal with those formats...Thanks!!!

Trados Studio project template settings window showing options for file types and layout recovery. 

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 1:22 PM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
emoji
Parents Reply Children
  •  

Do you think that the app IRIS can create troubles (as from its installation appear error messages...) and it's better if I remove it? 

I wouldn't be 100% certain, but I have seen problems in the past with OCR.  Although the PDF itself can also be the cause of how successful you would be with this tool.  They are simply not designed to be translated... it's always better to get the original source.  I know that's not always possible so all CAT tools have tried to do something to address this... some try to retain formatting, some just extract text etc.  But in the end my own opinion is I would always take a tool that that designed to handle PDFs and create a file that can be properly translated first.

In my own life I actually use two free tools for managing this stuff.

• NAPS - Not Another PDF Scanner to scan in documents I get as hard copy
    • FreeOCR - a small tool that uses Google Tesseract and has support for OCR'ing many languages

Not even close to the capabilities offered by some of the commercial tools but they suit my needs and it's often a lot faster to simple get the text, remove the line breaks... all of which FreeOCR will support quite nicely... and then just recreate the layout in Word myself.  Normally doesn't take long and the effort at the start means the translation process is not only problem free, but the final file is perfect.  So effort at the start means no effort needed at the end.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub