APP "IRIS PDF OCR Support" doesn't work

Hello, yesterday I got crazy trying to translate a not editable PDF (result from the scan of a certificate). I watched a video tutorial on Trados web site and installed IRIS PDF OCR Support. The installation has been completed successfully but when I started to use it, it didn't work! The editor view comes out empty, as in the picture I attach. Can anyone hlep me? In the end, I wrote the document by hand in a word file but for future cases I would like to understand the problem. Quite often I have to transalte certificates and the clients send me the scanned document, that is a not editable PDF,so I need to know how to deal with those formats...Thanks!!!

Trados Studio project template settings window showing options for file types and layout recovery. 

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 1:22 PM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
emoji
  •  

Unfortunately PDF files are just tricky!  We also had problems with IRIS technically, it was a 3rd party technology we paid for and it didn't always work well.  So in 2022 you'll see we removed the PDF filetype altogether that worked with IRIS and have replaced it with something new.  Unfortunately the new filetype doesn't OCR at all, but we did create a free plugin for 2022 that does a reasonable job most of the time.  You can read about it here:

PDF Assistant for Trados 

The principle with this is to use the app to convert the file to a DOCX first. Then you can tidy up the PDF as needed, and I recommend TransTools to help with this:

https://www.translatortools.net/products/transtools

Ideally, I think if you get a lot of PDF files to work on, it may be worth investing in something like Adobe Acrobat ( https://www.adobe.com/acrobat.html ) or Abbyy FineReader ( https://pdf.abbyy.com/ ) as these tools provide better control over the editing of PDF files so that you can prepare them properly for translation first.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

• Thank you  for your clear answer. Do you think that the app IRIS can create troubles (as from its installation appear error messages...) and it's better if I remove it? 

•  

Do you think that the app IRIS can create troubles (as from its installation appear error messages...) and it's better if I remove it? 

I wouldn't be 100% certain, but I have seen problems in the past with OCR.  Although the PDF itself can also be the cause of how successful you would be with this tool.  They are simply not designed to be translated... it's always better to get the original source.  I know that's not always possible so all CAT tools have tried to do something to address this... some try to retain formatting, some just extract text etc.  But in the end my own opinion is I would always take a tool that that designed to handle PDFs and create a file that can be properly translated first.

In my own life I actually use two free tools for managing this stuff.

• NAPS - Not Another PDF Scanner to scan in documents I get as hard copy
    • FreeOCR - a small tool that uses Google Tesseract and has support for OCR'ing many languages

Not even close to the capabilities offered by some of the commercial tools but they suit my needs and it's often a lot faster to simple get the text, remove the line breaks... all of which FreeOCR will support quite nicely... and then just recreate the layout in Word myself.  Normally doesn't take long and the effort at the start means the translation process is not only problem free, but the final file is perfect.  So effort at the start means no effort needed at the end.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

• Dear Paul, 

in line with the topic, I have several questions:

1. So there is no point in installing IRIS OCR on Trados 22 SR1, as far as I can understand? Actually, in my case, the option does not even appear in the PDF settings window (does anyone else have this same problem? I restarted Trados after the installation , but still it wouldn´t show up).

2. I see, that you are recommending commercial programs like Adobe Acrobat and FineReader, however, Adobe Pro´s results are not extremely good:

For example, a desktop screenshot is recognized as follows:

Screenshot of Trados Studio file explorer showing the Plugins RWS folder with various plugins listed, including IRIS add-ons.

Screenshot of Trados Studio translation results window with a list of file paths and names, indicating a possible OCR translation task.

And even to obtain this result, we need to perform file conversion outside Trados...

Then, according to Google, PDFelement is the best OCR program nowdays. What is your opinion on it? Would you recommend investing in it?

3. As for the FreeOCR you mentioned, it is 100% online, isn´t it? (blocked on the company´s equipment due to the permissions issue). Is the tool below the one you referred to:

Screenshot of an online OCR service webpage with options to upload a file, select language as Spanish, and output format as Microsoft Word (docx), ready to convert.

Thanks in advance!

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 1:23 PM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]
  •   

I think we all have questions about PDF files!!!

So there is no point in installing IRIS OCR on Trados 22 SR1, as far as I can understand?

Correct... no point.

Actually, in my case, the option does not even appear in the PDF settings window (does anyone else have this same problem?

Everyone!  This is because the new filetype doesn't use IRIS and we replaced the old one.

Then, according to Google, PDFelement is the best OCR program nowdays. What is your opinion on it? Would you recommend investing in it?

I'm not familiar with it.  Even though this thread is only a few months old I actually added to my choices in my personal life.  I still use NAPS and sometimes FreeOCR, but I now choose two other tools:

1. PDF-XChange Editor - https://pdf-xchange.eu/pdf-xchange-editor/ 
      Mainly because I wanted a good PDF editing capability.  I haven't played with the OCR yet so I took a screenshot of your image (that already was a poor resolution), saved as a PDF and tried it - Screenshot of a Trados Studio PDF settings window with missing IRIS OCR option.
      Also not perfect and you'd still need to do some work removing superflous tags before processing but I was quite impressed with this quick test.  It also has a lot of other very nice features.  I use Adobe at work on my work laptop but I found that too pricey for my needs at home.  PDF-XChange Editor is a lot cheaper, it's perpetual, and I actually find it a lot more functional and user friendly than Adobe too.
    2. ChatGPT
      for many things I receive where I want the text it's brilliant for screenshotting the image and asking for the text, and the translation ;-)
    As for the FreeOCR you mentioned, it is 100% online, isn´t it?

Nope... it's a desktop application: http://www.paperfile.net/

But note it's incredibly basic.  I like it because it's simple and fast and often served my purpose perfectly.  No substitute for a more professional tool though.

Ultimately there are no easy answers for PDFs.  All PDF files are different and depending on how they were created, how good the quality is, what the content is, what language the content is, the less consistent your results.  So it's often a case of knowing your tools and finding the most appropriate for the job.  Or encourage your clients to stop providing PDF files as much as possible!!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
  • PDF-XChange Editor - https://pdf-xchange.eu/pdf-xchange-editor/ 
    Mainly because I wanted a good PDF editing capability.  I haven't played with the OCR yet so I took a screenshot of your image (that already was a poor resolution), saved as a PDF and tried it - Screenshot of PDF-XChange Editor download page with options for ZIP and MSI files for various versions including 3264 bit and ARM64 processor.
    Also not perfect and you'd still need to do some work removing superflous tags before processing but I was quite impressed with this quick test.  It also has a lot of other very nice features.  I use Adobe at work on my work laptop but I found that too pricey for my needs at home.  PDF-XChange Editor is a lot cheaper, it's perpetual, and I actually find it a lot more functional and user friendly than Adobe too.

There are many options here, could you , please , confirm, which one I am to use... I think the first one. Nice that they offer this trial version (and the license price is also OK).

Close-up view of PDF-XChange Editor download options highlighting the availability of a trial version with a watermark limitation.

As for the GPTchat, I did not get it...how do you use it in the scanned docs recognition process?

Once again, many thanks for sharing your expertise, Paul!

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
  •  

There are many options here, could you , please , confirm, which one I am to use... I think the first one.

I think so too.  If you want OCR you need at least the Plus version: https://pdf-xchange.eu/feature-overview.htm

As for the GPTchat, I did not get it...how do you use it in the scanned docs recognition process?

Two ways...

1. copy paste the image, or load the file, into the ChatGPT UI and use a prompt to tell it what you want to do.  I use this for small usecases where I just want the text... not going to be useful for large files or where I want formatting retained.
    2. via the API.  But you need to figure that one out!

Interestingly we have just developed a solution here in the community using OpenAI API image recognition capability that will go live very soon that automatically takes the images that are pasted into the forum and creates the Alt-Text based on the image and the context in the thread.  It can provide a pretty good description of the image like this and this is important for blind users who work with screen readers since images are problematic unless users always fill in the Alt-Text when they post.... and I can tell you they don't!

many thanks for sharing your expertis

You're welcome, but don't confuse me telling you what I use outside of work as I don't translate or handle documents in the way you probably need in a professional setting.  So whilst PDF-XChange is a pretty good and professional tool, the rest of the stuff I mentioned that I use may not be appropriate at all.  So please don't shoot me if you test and find it's not helpful at all!!

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji
  • automatically takes the images that are pasted into the forum and creates the Alt-Text based on the image and the context in the thread.  It can provide a pretty good description of the image like this and this is important for blind users who work with screen readers

Ohhh, sounds cool, however, I can hardly imagine the description of a Trados editor tab screenshot, for example....not THAT imaginative I am, will love to test it when available!!!!

So please don't shoot me if you test and find it's not helpful at all!!

No way, would be such a light way to get rid of me. I prefer to keep torturing you with my questions!!! Slight smile

Loads of thanks, Paul, for all your help! We´ll try the OCR options you recommend!

emoji
  • Dear All, 

here am I again, the beginner of this thread, still with some questions on the topic...Face palm tone1 I have another PDF that doesn't charge in TRADOS and I still don't know what to do.

I have read the other questions and replies put by Yulia and Paul and downloaded NAPS2.  could you please tell me again what NAPS does? I mean, how NAPS can help me with my PDF that TRADOS doesn't read. I attach a screenshot. 

Could I please have a video demonstration?Screenshot of NAPS2 software interface with options to scan, OCR, import, save as PDF, save images, send via email, print, rotate, crop, brighten, delete, and change language.

Thanks a lot, 

Antonella 

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 4:55 PM (GMT 1) on 26 Apr 2024]
  • I also attach a short video of the problem I am facing with the PDF. Thanks!

emoji