Errors "Service 'Sdl.TranslationStudio.AlignmentEditor.IAlignmentEditorService' could not be started" and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

I downloaded Multilingual Excel FileType plugin, I restarted Trados Studio 2022 but these two errors came up:

Error dialog box in Trados Studio with a red cross icon, stating 'Reference to an object not set to an instance of an object.' with options for Knowledge Base and Community.Error dialog box in Trados Studio with a red cross icon, stating 'Unable to start service 'Sdl.TranslationStudio.AlignmentEditor.IAlignmentEditorService'.' with options for Knowledge Base and Community.

Now I am unable to use Trados. What procedure should I follow?

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 4:13 PM (GMT 0) on 27 Mar 2024]
emoji
  •  

It can be more helpful if you share the actual error message that is underlying these messages.  To do this save the error stack to your desktop and then attach to your reply.  So click on this to get the error stack:

Error dialog box in Trados Studio with a red cross symbol, Italian text 'Riferimento a un oggetto non impostato su un'istanza di oggetto', and an 'OK' button.

The second message is often resolved with a reset, but it may not work because of whatever is causing the one in the screenshot above.  But give it a try.  To do this just close Trados Studio and then rename this folder:

c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Trados\Trados Studio\Studio17\

to c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Trados\Trados Studio\Studio17_old\

If you can't find this folder then you need to unhide your hidden files/folders:

www.howtogeek.com/.../

Then restart Trados Studio and see if that helped.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 9:29 PM (GMT 0) on 30 Mar 2024]
  • The error messages are:

1) 

<SDLErrorDetails time="03/04/2024 16:34:52">
    <ErrorMessage>Impossibile avviare il servizio 'Sdl.TranslationStudio.AlignmentEditor.IAlignmentEditorService'.</ErrorMessage>
    <Exception>
    <Type>Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Services.ServiceStartException, Sdl.Desktop.Platform, Version=17.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888</Type>
    <HelpLink/>
    <Source>Sdl.Desktop.Platform</Source>
    <HResult>-2146233088</HResult>
    <StackTrace>
    <![CDATA[ in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.ServiceContext.GetLocalService[T]() in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.ServiceContext.GetService[T]() in Sdl.TranslationStudio.AlignmentEditor.Conditions.CurrentAlignmentCondition.OnServiceContextChanged() in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Extensions.AbstractServiceContextAwareCondition.set_ServiceContext(IServiceContext value) in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Extensions.AbstractConditionInitializer.InitializeCondition(ICondition condition) in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Extensions.ConditionHelper.GetCondition(IExtension extension, ConditionResult conditionResult, IConditionInitializer initializer) in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.ViewReference..ctor(IStudioWindow window, ViewDescriptor descriptor) in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.Init(IEventAggregator eventAggregator) in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.CreateWindowInternal(Boolean setActive, IEventAggregator eventAggregator) in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.Run(ISplashScreen splashScreen, IPluginLoaderService pluginLoaderService, ICommandLineParsingService commandLineParsingService, IUserSettingsService userSettingsService, IEnumerable`1 startUpActions) in Sdl.TranslationStudio.Application.Launcher.RunApplication() ]]>
    </StackTrace>
    <InnerException>
    <Type>System.ArgumentException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
    <ParamName/>
    <HelpLink/>
    <Source>mscorlib</Source>
    <HResult>-2147024809</HResult>
    <StackTrace>
    <![CDATA[ in System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource) in System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add) in Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.PocoFilterManager.LoadFileTypeCache() in Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.PocoFilterManager.CreateFileTypeDefinition(String fileTypeDefinitionId, FileTypeProfile profileOverride) in Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.FileTypeConfiguration.get_FilterManager() in Sdl.TranslationStudio.AlignmentEditor.AlignmentEditorService.OnStart() in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Services.AbstractService.Start(IServiceContext context) in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.ServiceContext.GetLocalService[T]() ]]>
    </StackTrace>
    </InnerException>
    </Exception>
    <Environment>
    <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
    <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
    <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.0.3.11695</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
    <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 11 Home</OperatingSystem>
    <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
    <OperatingSystemLanguage>1040</OperatingSystemLanguage>
    <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
    <LoggedOnUser>LAPTOP-F0CA49FC\stefa</LoggedOnUser>
    <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
    <ComputerName>LAPTOP-F0CA49FC</ComputerName>
    <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
    <PhysicalMemory>8159224 MB</PhysicalMemory>
    </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>
    2) 
    <SDLErrorDetails time="03/04/2024 16:36:18">
    <ErrorMessage>Riferimento a un oggetto non impostato su un'istanza di oggetto.</ErrorMessage>
    <Exception>
    <Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
    <HelpLink/>
    <Source>Sdl.Desktop.Platform</Source>
    <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
    <StackTrace>
    <![CDATA[ in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.OnClosing() in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow._form_Closing(Object sender, CancelEventArgs e) in System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnClosing(CancelEventArgs e) in System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m) in System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m) in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.StudioWindowForm.WndProc(Message& message) in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) in System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) ]]>
    </StackTrace>
    </Exception>
    <Environment>
    <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
    <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
    <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.0.3.11695</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
    <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 11 Home</OperatingSystem>
    <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
    <OperatingSystemLanguage>1040</OperatingSystemLanguage>
    <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
    <LoggedOnUser>LAPTOP-F0CA49FC\stefa</LoggedOnUser>
    <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
    <ComputerName>LAPTOP-F0CA49FC</ComputerName>
    <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
    <PhysicalMemory>8159224 MB</PhysicalMemory>
    </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>
    I have renamed the folder as you suggested, but I still get the error messages.
    emoji
  • Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with Trados Studio 2022. Based on the error messages you're receiving, it seems like there might be a conflict with your antivirus program. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you resolve this issue:

Step 1: Add the Trados Studio installation folder as an exception to your antivirus program. The path for Trados Studio 2022 on a 64-bit Windows OS is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Trados\Trados Studio\Studio17

Step 2: If the issue persists, you can try restoring the original *.dll file from the antivirus quarantine folder.

Step 3: If the above steps don't resolve the issue, you might need to run a repair installation of Trados Studio. Here's how to do it:

- Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.

- Locate and highlight the Trados Studio entry.

- Right-click on Trados Studio and select the Uninstall/Change option.

- Click Repair to start the repair installation.

Please note that these steps are based on the information provided in the context and might not cover all possible scenarios. If you're still experiencing issues after following these steps, it would be best to seek further assistance from the RWS Support Team.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

TradosAI

emoji
  • I've tried following these instructions, but it hasn't helped. I can't see any files in the antivirus quarantine folder.

I am afraid I will need further assistance from the RWS support team.

emoji
  • Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that the issue persists. In this case, it would be best to contact the RWS Support Team for further assistance. If you have a support contract, you can log in to the RWS Gateway with your RWS Account and click on the blue "Log a Case" button. If you don't have a support contract, you can request support through the Web Form for TP Licensing & Installation Issues on the RWS Gateway.

I hope this helps and your issue gets resolved soon. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

TradosAI

emoji
  •  

Try the solution here please:

Stefania Soffritti I'm not sure if the plgin was to blame here, but I suggest you do a few things: reset Studio (not the same as reinstalling... instructions below) update Studio - you are well…

emoji