How to lock same segment number in multiple files at the same time?

We have two xliff files to be translated into ES and FR.

Once the project has been created, we need to lock some segments. Segment numbers are the same in ES and FR in both files.

We'd like to find a way to lock those segment in one shot, rather than doing it in FR first and ES after (the files are pretty long).

Thanks for your help

emoji
Parents
  • Hi

If you know the segment numbers, you coiuld use the Advanced Display FIlter in Trados Studio to filter for a list of comma-separated segment numbers. You would then have to go into both languages' files, filter with the same list, and lock all filtered segments.

If you don't know how to get the segment numbers but you'd be able to point out all segments to be locked, then you could use the SDLXLIFF Convertor App to convert the SDLXLIFF into Excel first. Within the excel file you could then get the segment numbers to be used in the step mentioned above.

Just an idea. Hope it helps.

emoji
  • Hi Luciano,
    "If you know the segment numbers, you coiuld use the Advanced Display FIlter in Trados Studio to filter for a list of comma-separated segment numbers. You would then have to go into both languages' files, filter with the same list, and lock all filtered segments"
    --> Thanks a lot for your workaround, I confirm this solution works!

Even though we need to open every language after another, it is still more efficient than locking all segments again.

emoji
  • , happy to hear it helps. Unfortunately, I think for such a semi-automatization you will always need some kind of pattern that you can apply to all files. In the case of my solution it is the list of segment numbers.

If you want to use the SDLXLIFF toolkit you will need to define a pattern based on which you will tell the tool to make changes to the segments, such as locking them. One idea would be to edit the XLIFF files in a text editor using regular expressions, adding information to the relevant segments about, let's say, the translation status, so the segments to be locked have a different status than the other segments. You would then select that status in the upper section of the SDLXLIFF toolkit (see Lydia's screenshot below) and choose "locked" in the "change" section.

Of course, for this solution, you would need to know which segments to edit in the XLIFF file and how to modify only those and not the others. For all options you have to evaluate if it is worth the effort, considering the time you are going to save in the end.

emoji
  • , happy to hear it helps. Unfortunately, I think for such a semi-automatization you will always need some kind of pattern that you can apply to all files. In the case of my solution it is the list of segment numbers.

If you want to use the SDLXLIFF toolkit you will need to define a pattern based on which you will tell the tool to make changes to the segments, such as locking them. One idea would be to edit the XLIFF files in a text editor using regular expressions, adding information to the relevant segments about, let's say, the translation status, so the segments to be locked have a different status than the other segments. You would then select that status in the upper section of the SDLXLIFF toolkit (see Lydia's screenshot below) and choose "locked" in the "change" section.

Of course, for this solution, you would need to know which segments to edit in the XLIFF file and how to modify only those and not the others. For all options you have to evaluate if it is worth the effort, considering the time you are going to save in the end.

emoji
Children