Spanish Word spell checker does not work correctly on words with accents

Hi all!

I'm using Trados Studio 2022 SR2 - 17.2.10.19084 and Office 365, both fully updated.

For the last few weeks, Word spell checker does not identify correctly words with accents in Spanish, so it marks the word as incorrect:

Screenshot of Trados Studio showing Spanish text with red underlines indicating spelling errors for words with accents.

The spell checker works fine in Word, so I really don't know what the problem is.

I'm using Hunspell until I can find a solution, but the thing is I have added so many words to the Word dictionary over the years, that using Hunspell feels like starting all over again.

Any idea what the problem might be and how to solve it?

TIA,

Marta

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 9:21 PM (GMT 1) on 9 May 2024]
emoji
  • Hello Marta,

I understand your concern about the Spanish Word spell checker not working correctly on words with accents in Trados Studio 2022 SR2 - 17.2.10.19084. Here are a few steps you can follow to resolve this issue:

Step 1: Check the language settings in MS Office. The MS Word spell-checker is determined by the availability of this language spelling ability in MS Office. Any additional settings need to be checked there and it is independent of Trados Studio.

Step 2: If you're using Hunspell, ensure that the appropriate variation of the Spanish dictionary is available in the Hunspell Dictionaries folder. The path to this folder is: C:\Program Files (x86)\RWS\Trados Studio\Studio16\Hunspell Dictionaries (es_ES & es_MX are available).

Step 3: If the required Spanish variant is not available, you can create a Hunspell dictionary and integrate it into Trados Studio. You can refer to the article "Adding spell checking language dictionaries to Trados Studio" for guidance.

Step 4: Alternatively, you can create dictionaries for other Spanish variants using the Hunspell Dictionary Manager available on the RWS AppStore. Make sure to download the latest version.

Step 5: As a temporary workaround, when you use English United States language as the source language, you can select Spanish (Spain, International Sort) or Spanish (Mexico) as the target language. In this way, the spellchecker should work fine.

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

RWS Community AI

emoji
  • The word spell checker works fine in Word, it's in Trados I have problems with.

emoji