"Impossibile avviare il servizio 'Sdl.Desktop.Platform.CommandBars.IActionService'." error message when opening Trados Studio after installing Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack 2022

After installing the Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack 2022 on my Trados Studio Professional 2022 SR2 I get this error:

<SDLErrorDetails time="10/06/2024 11:07:11">
<ErrorMessage>Impossibile avviare il servizio 'Sdl.Desktop.Platform.CommandBars.IActionService'.</ErrorMessage>
<Exception>
<Type>Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Services.ServiceStartException, Sdl.Desktop.Platform, Version=17.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888</Type>
<HelpLink />
<Source>Sdl.Desktop.Platform</Source>
<HResult>-2146233088</HResult>
<StackTrace><![CDATA[ in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.ServiceContext.GetLocalService[T]()
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.ServiceContext.GetService[T]()
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.get_ActionService()
in Sdl.Platform.UI.StudioWindowForm.set_StudioWindow(IStudioWindow value)
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.Init(IEventAggregator eventAggregator)
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.CreateWindowInternal(Boolean setActive, IEventAggregator eventAggregator)
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.Run(ISplashScreen splashScreen, IPluginLoaderService pluginLoaderService, ICommandLineParsingService commandLineParsingService, IUserSettingsService userSettingsService, IEnumerable`1 startUpActions, ILicensingService licensingService)
in Sdl.TranslationStudio.Application.Launcher.RunApplication()]]></StackTrace>
<InnerException>
<Type>System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
<HelpLink />
<Source>mscorlib</Source>
<HResult>-2146233038</HResult>
<StackTrace><![CDATA[ in System.Resources.FileBasedResourceGroveler.GrovelForResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Dictionary`2 localResourceSets, Boolean tryParents, Boolean createIfNotExists, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
in System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo requestedCulture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
in System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
in System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name, CultureInfo culture, Boolean wrapUnmanagedMemStream)
in System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name)
in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.FileBasedPluginDescriptor.GetPluginResource(String name)
in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.PluginResourceManager.GetPluginResource[T](String resourceName)
in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.Plugin.GetPluginResource[T](String resourceName)
in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.PluginDeserializer.InitializeLocalizableProperties(IExtension extension, Object attribute)
in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.PluginDeserializer.DeserializeAttribute(IExtension extension, XElement attributeElement, IObjectResolver objectResolver)
in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.Extension.get_AuxiliaryExtensionAttributes()
in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.Extension.GetAuxiliaryExtensionAttributes[T]()
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.DefaultShortCutsCache.GetShortcutsForExtension[T](Dictionary`2 cache)
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.DefaultShortCutsCache.LoadCache()
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.DefaultShortCutsCache.get_DefaultShortCuts()
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.GetShortcuts(IActionInfo actionInfo)
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionInfo.get_Shortcuts()
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.AddShortcutMappings(IActionInfo actionInfo)
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ReloadShortcutSettings()
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.OnStart()
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Services.AbstractService.Start(IServiceContext context)
in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.ServiceContext.GetLocalService[T]()]]></StackTrace>
</InnerException>
</Exception>
<Environment>
<ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
<ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
<EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.2.10.19084</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
<OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Pro</OperatingSystem>
<ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
<OperatingSystemLanguage>1040</OperatingSystemLanguage>
<CodePage>1252</CodePage>
<LoggedOnUser>PC-ALESSIA-10\User</LoggedOnUser>
<DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
<ComputerName>PC-ALESSIA-10</ComputerName>
<ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
<PhysicalMemory>16567460 MB</PhysicalMemory>
</Environment>
</SDLErrorDetails>

I tried the resolutions described in Gateway article below:
https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000003136&_gl=1*1p227t*_gcl_au*MTM5MDQxNTg0Mi4xNzE0NjYwMjM1*_ga*NjExNzYyMjIyLjE3MDY3NzQ1Njg.*_ga_J0Z9C6G83T*MTcxODAxMDAxMi40MS4xLjE3MTgwMTA0NjkuMC4wLjA.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to work. The last option suggested in the article is as follows:

"If the issue still persists afterwards, please go to the 
Control Panel of your computer and check if you have any standalone apps installed, like SDLXLIFF SplitMerge or the Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack. If yes, please uninstall these as well, one by one, until the error no longer occurs."

However, when I try to uninstall the Compatibility and Migration Power Pack, I get this error:

Error message from Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack 2022 setup: 'Setup did not complete. The error is: Setup has detected a different version of this product already installed. If you still wish to remove or repair that version, you must use that version's installer.' with an OK button.

And it does not let me proceed.

Can anyone help me?

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: RWS Community AI at 9:17 AM (GMT 1) on 10 Jun 2024]
  • Hi  

Is your Trados up to date (SR2 CU10)? You can check that from Help - Check for updates.

Is the version of the app that you installed compatible? Or did you install more than one version of the app?

Kind regards,

Elisa Maxim | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • After the error occurred, in one of several attempts I unistalled Studio and reinstalled, since I was not able to do anything. I hoped that the new installation solved the issued but nothing, I am not able to open Studio anymore. It was up to date, though, when I installed the migration pack.

emoji
  • Please uninstall the plugin (Solution 2) https://gateway.sdl.com/CommunityKnowledge?articleName=000010617

Then check if Trados starts. If it starts, you can reinstall https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/102 Please make sure you install a compatible version, meaning for SR2 CU10.

Elisa Maxim | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  • Hi Elisa,

after uninstalling and reinstalling Studio the plugin manager is empy:

Screenshot of Trados Plugin Management window with an empty list of plugins. A message indicates all installed plugins are listed and to uninstall, ensure Trados Studio is closed. Filter by Studio version is set to Trados Studio 2022.

I think this is due to the fact that I performed all the clean up actions suggested in the Community and in the KB.

I've rechecked all the folders, renamed folders, renamed plugin files, renamed settings files... Nothing seems to work :-) and I am still getting this:

<SDLErrorDetails time="11/06/2024 17:48:45">
      <ErrorMessage>Impossibile avviare il servizio 'Sdl.Desktop.Platform.CommandBars.IActionService'.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Services.ServiceStartException, Sdl.Desktop.Platform, Version=17.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>Sdl.Desktop.Platform</Source>
        <HResult>-2146233088</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.ServiceContext.GetLocalService[T]()
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.ServiceContext.GetService[T]()
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.get_ActionService()
       in Sdl.Platform.UI.StudioWindowForm.set_StudioWindow(IStudioWindow value)
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.StudioWindow.Init(IEventAggregator eventAggregator)
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.CreateWindowInternal(Boolean setActive, IEventAggregator eventAggregator)
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Studio.Run(ISplashScreen splashScreen, IPluginLoaderService pluginLoaderService, ICommandLineParsingService commandLineParsingService, IUserSettingsService userSettingsService, IEnumerable`1 startUpActions, ILicensingService licensingService)
       in Sdl.TranslationStudio.Application.Launcher.RunApplication()]]></StackTrace>
        <InnerException>
          <Type>System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
          <HelpLink />
          <Source>mscorlib</Source>
          <HResult>-2146233038</HResult>
          <StackTrace><![CDATA[   in System.Resources.FileBasedResourceGroveler.GrovelForResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Dictionary`2 localResourceSets, Boolean tryParents, Boolean createIfNotExists, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       in System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo requestedCulture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       in System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
       in System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name, CultureInfo culture, Boolean wrapUnmanagedMemStream)
       in System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name)
       in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.FileBasedPluginDescriptor.GetPluginResource(String name)
       in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.PluginResourceManager.GetPluginResource[T](String resourceName)
       in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.Plugin.GetPluginResource[T](String resourceName)
       in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.PluginDeserializer.InitializeLocalizableProperties(IExtension extension, Object attribute)
       in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.PluginDeserializer.DeserializeAttribute(IExtension extension, XElement attributeElement, IObjectResolver objectResolver)
       in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.Extension.get_AuxiliaryExtensionAttributes()
       in Sdl.Core.PluginFramework.Implementation.Extension.GetAuxiliaryExtensionAttributes[T]()
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.DefaultShortCutsCache.GetShortcutsForExtension[T](Dictionary`2 cache)
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.DefaultShortCutsCache.LoadCache()
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.DefaultShortCutsCache.get_DefaultShortCuts()
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.GetShortcuts(IActionInfo actionInfo)
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionInfo.get_Shortcuts()
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.AddShortcutMappings(IActionInfo actionInfo)
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ReloadShortcutSettings()
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.OnStart()
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Services.AbstractService.Start(IServiceContext context)
       in Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.ServiceContext.GetLocalService[T]()]]></StackTrace>
        </InnerException>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.2.10.19084</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Pro</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>1040</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>PC-ALESSIA-10\User</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>PC-ALESSIA-10</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>16567460 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

Any other hint? The repair function does not work, as I said, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling.

Thanks a lot for your patience.

Regards,

Alessia

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 3:51 PM (GMT 1) on 11 Jun 2024]
  • Hi  

Please follow solution 2 and remove the plugin https://gateway.sdl.com/CommunityKnowledge?articleName=000010617

Kind regards,

Elisa Maxim | RWS Group

emoji
  • I've already tried that, I manually removed the plugin and also manually removed ALL the plugins.

This is the folder now:
    Empty folder view of Trados Studio 17 Plugins directory with columns for Name, Last Modified, Type, and Size.

but I also tried to remove just that one (before renaming it to OLD_3, in one of the subsequent attempts):

Folder view of Trados Studio 17 Plugins_OLD_3 directory with multiple plugin folders listed, including AI Professional, DeepL Translation Provider, and others.

Currently there are no plugins in the folder, but even with plugins it does not open.

As I said, I almost tried everything I could get on the gateway...

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 6:03 PM (GMT 1) on 11 Jun 2024]
  • We will be pleased to help you with this problem so have logged a support case on your behalf. We do prioritise customers who have a support contract so please keep in mind it could take up to 48 hours, especially over a weekend, but rest assured we will contact you as soon as we can. You will be contacted at the email address used for this Community. Support Case Id : 00854895 .

Elisa Maxim | RWS Group

emoji
  • Hi Elisa, 

thanks a lot for your help so far. I received the ticket opening notification and will wait for the support to contact me.

emoji
  • Hi Elisa, 

I got my support session today and the issue was resolved.

I paste the message that closed the ticket for future reference.

---

During the session, the issue was finally resolved by removing the standalone app folder for Studio 2022 under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and the AppStore Integration folder under C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\SDL Community to remove the faulty plugin integration causing the issue.

---

Thanks again,

Alessia

emoji
  • Hi  

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully it will help other clients coming across this issue at a later date.

Kind regards,

Elisa Maxim | RWS Group

emoji