Language variants in Multiterm

Hi,

we have an issue with Studio (2022) and Multiterm (2021) in recognizing language variants, e.g. Chinese (PR China) and Chinese (Taiwan) or Portuguese (Portugal) and Portuguese Brazil.

Let me explain it with an example:
We do have a Studio project, English GB into Portuguese (Portugal).
For a specific term, we have an entry English GB - Portuguese (Brazil) in our termbase, but no entry for English GB - Portuguese (Portugal).
When translating in Studio, the the Portuguese (Brazil) term is displayed in the term recognition window, so the translator has to assume this is the preferred term. Which can be correct, but also can be wrong, if this term is not correct in Portugal.

Does anyone know how to avoid that a term from another language variant is displayed?

Many thanks,

Johannes

emoji
Parents Reply
  • Hi Paul,

thanks a lot for your reply.

This procedure might make sense, when you start a termbase, but we already have several hundred terms in our database, with languages in various variants (English, Chinese, Portuguese, to name a few). I do not want to set up the termbase from scratch, as I am not sure if exporting and importing would work with all fields in that database smoothly.

Generally, what's the purpose of offering the variants in Multiterm, when Studio does not recognize them?

I select a variant, let's say PT-BR, in Studio, and I have that variant in Multiterm, why does it not just look up in PT-BR? Why does it then look up PT-PT terms? It just could be dealt with like another language, as for example FR-FR would be as well (those terms are not displayed).

I do not understand the concept, there might be a reason, which I have not realized yet.

Thanks,

Johannes

emoji
Children
No Data