Why I cannot customize my batch task list in Trados Studio 2024?

Hi all,

For some time now (probably jjuz in Rdos Studio 2022, but certainly in Trados studio 2024) it is no longer possible to customize (custom option) the list of Batch taks for processed plks. I know that this option was available before, and I used it and was able to set a list of tasks to be performed for an opened file. Now I have to do it one at a time, e.g. Analyze files first, and then after reopening the file Pre-Translate.

Screenshot of Trados Studio interface showing the Batch Tasks menu with options like Analyze Files, Pre-translate Files, and Verify Files. A red ellipse highlights the absence of a custom batch task option.

I don't really understand what has changed and why the custom option is no longer available.

Best regards,

Lech Lachowski

space added
[edited by: Lech Lachowski at 9:38 AM (GMT 1) on 12 Jul 2024]
emoji
  •  

Customising batch tasks is a feature available only in the Professional licence of Trados Studio. If you have a Freelance version, you can’t customise batch tasks. You don’t mention the type of licence of your Trados Studio copy, but this is my first guess…

emoji
  • Hi   

I do not Think You are qutie right. I have freelance subscription for almost two year now, and this option was always available. I was very suprised lately when I couldn't curomize my batch tasks in my recent project. If You cut functionlity on freelance subscription, this does not speak well of RWS. If You will continue this cutting I will just change my CAT provider, because it is not a fair approach to the customer.

I will no longer mention the plethora of bugs in the Trados 2024 version and the problems with cloud options because I have written posts about it, which you can feel free to read In general, it is absurd and you will tell me that the option to customize batch jobs was not available earlier in the freelance version of studio, because I used it. if you do not believe my word, please check previous versions of Trados Studio 2022 in freelance subscription.

Best regards,

Lech Lachowski

emoji
  •  

If You cut functionlity on freelance subscription

I cut nothing. I’m just a Trados Studio user..

This link mentions that a Freelance licence can’t create custom batch tasks: https://docs.rws.com/1145319/303450/trados-studio-2024/trados-studio-editions

Comparison table highlighting 'Custom task sequences' with 'NO' under the Freelance edition column, surrounded by 'YES' in other columns.

being the cell highlighted in the Freelance edition column. And it has been like that fro years...

if you do not believe my word, please check previous versions of Trados Studio 2022 in freelance subscription.

Sorry, I can’t check that since I have the Professional version. But other peers may post their findings…

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 3:37 PM (GMT 1) on 12 Jul 2024]
  • I do not Think You are qutie right. I have freelance subscription for almost two year now, and this option was always available.

He is correct.  This has been a differentiator between professional and freelance since 2009.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji
  • Hi   

mayby this is even truth but lets nt forgeto of pletoria bugs of ne version of trados studio 2024 This should betestunf version only. I have written many posts on this subject today and I got to the point of frustration.

Bestre gards,

Lech Lachowski

emoji
  • Hello Lech, Jesús, Paul,

Just FYI, 2024 seems to really mess with tasks. I use 2022 Pro, since I installed 2024 Pro (I had to uninstall, too unstable), custom batch tasks do not work well in 2022 (I never got to make them work in 2024). Even if they do exist, they are not shown in the batch task menu anymore, not even after uninstalling and reinstalling (I was forced to do it manually).

Cheers,

Antonio

emoji
  •  

You should check where you saved them.  If you did it for a specific Project then it will only be available for that project... similarly for project templates.  Maybe this is your problem?  I use them all the time and normally use them in different project templates and don't have this problem.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 

emoji
  • Thanks for your answer Paul, always so responsive. I wish I had made that mistake.

I defined all my batch tasks as Default from the Main Options menu, and they are available when I follow the steps to create a new project using the Default template or any other template. However, after the project is created, the custom task I have just applied to that project does not show at all in the menu with that (or any other) project selected. If I go to the Batch tasks dialog box, the custom tasks do show up (I now have just 2, since they are useless to me), but as soon as I select one of them and click Close, Studio closes abruptly with an error message. 

Trados Studio Batch Tasks dialog box showing a list of tasks such as Finalize, Prepare, and Translate and Anonymize with their descriptions in Spanish.

Error dialog box in Trados Studio with a red cross icon, stating 'El valor no puede ser nulo. Nombre del parametro: templates' in Spanish, which translates to 'The value cannot be null. Parameter name: templates'.

As I said, this happens since I installed 2024 and I have never been able to make it work, not even uninstalling and reinstalling. It is not the first time I uninstall a unstable new version (I have used trados since it was MS-DOS), but it has never messed with the existing version. 

Unfortunately I do not have time now to refresh Windows in my working machine and reinstall (too many licenses). When I have some time I will try with my portable

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 3:06 PM (GMT 1) on 25 Jul 2024]
  •  

Can you provide the full error stack for the error please?  These screenshots are not helpful:

Error dialog box in Trados Studio with a red cross icon, displaying the message 'El valor no puede ser nulo. Nombre del parametro: templates'. There is a red arrow pointing to a 'Help' icon.

Save the xml error you get and then attach to your reply (Insert - Image/Video/File).  That may point to the problem which could be related to you using old templates in 2024 for example?  You cannot do this, especially if you are using plugins as part of your tasks.  I am guessing a bit based on your screenshot, but the error stack may tell us more.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 3:20 PM (GMT 1) on 25 Jul 2024]
  • Hello Paul, Here it is:

<SDLErrorDetails time="25/07/2024 17:38:54">
      <ErrorMessage>El valor no puede ser nulo.
    Nombre del parámetro: templates</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.ArgumentNullException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <ParamName>templates</ParamName>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation</Source>
        <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   en Sdl.ProjectApi.Implementation.Workflow.CreateComplexTaskTemplate(String name, String description, ITaskTemplate[] templates)
       en Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.Tasks.SelectTaskTemplate.CustomTaskTemplateItem.GetTemplate()
       en Sdl.TranslationStudio.Common.Tasks.SelectTaskTemplate.SelectTaskTemplateViewModel.ExecuteManageTaskSequences()
       en Sdl.Platform.UI.Command.RelayCommand.Execute(Object parameter)
       en MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
       en System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
       en System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
       en System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
       en System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
       en System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
       en System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
       en System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
       en System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
       en System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
       en System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
       en System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
       en System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
       en System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
       en System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
       en System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
       en System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
       en System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)
       en System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
       en System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
       en System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
       en System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
       en System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       en System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       en MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       en MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
       en System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       en System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
       en System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       en MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       en System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
       en System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       en System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       en System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       en Sdl.TranslationStudio.Application.Launcher.RunApplication()]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>Studio17</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>17.2.10.19084</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 11 Pro</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>3082</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser> </LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName> </ComputerName>