xlf file segmentation in Trados Studio 2019

Please can you tell me how to change the segmentation in xlf files in Trados Studio 2019. When I import the file, practically the entire text appears in one segment. It slows Studio down and is slow and clunky to navigate.

I want to break up this segment into smaller chunks.

Many thanks

emoji
Parents Reply Children
  • XLIFF is a bilingual file type by design. It's not like other file types.

What you are trying to do is not exactly easy and there are tons of potential problems. How will you ensure that the newly segmented bilingual file will have proper source-target alignment? I did quite a bit with automatic alignment of "normal" file types, but never this.

In Okapi, you would create a translation kit and "segment further" using SRX rules, which you must have ready or know how to create. Or you take some vanilla SRX rules from somewhere, sure you can find that online somewhere. You can give it a try, but I won't have the time to walk you through this, and beware, Okapi have quite a learning curve - at least I found that. You might have an alignment step in there somewhere and create a custome pipeline.

Again, what you are trying to do is neither standard nor easy, and I would hazard the guess that's why Studio does not have the built-in functionality to do this.

XLF is a form of XML, and you can try whether you can get the Multilingual XML filetype in Studio to do what you want. Might be worth a try.

Screenshot of the 'Segmentation' settings in the 'Translation Kit Creation' pipeline within the Okapi Rainbow application, with options to segment source and target text using SRX rules.

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: RWS Community AI at 9:24 PM (GMT 1) on 16 Jul 2024]
  •   

If the XLF doesn’t contain source and target segments get then you could probably copy the source onto the target, and then create a custom XML filetype to translate the target only.

If you had a more recent version of Studio then you could probably use the multilingual XML filetype from the AppStore and then you could also handle an XLF with source and target segments already in the file.

Paul Filkin | RWS Group

You've done the courses and still need to go a little further, or still not clear? 
    Tell us what you need in our Community Solutions Hub

emoji